Fw: Fw: We Survived

  • foryeshua1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2002
      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: "David L. Dorsey" <d.c.dorsey@...>
      To: forYeshua1@...
      Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:31:54 -0700
      Subject: Fw: We Survived

      Dear Wally,
      Hi. We thought you would enjoy this one too. It reminds us of the
      good old days when we were growing up.
      Love,
      David and Charlene

      Subject: We Survived

      SURVIVED

      Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived

      as long as we have.................

      As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
      Riding
      in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

      Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We
      had
      no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we

      rode our bikes, we had no helmets.

      We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors.

      We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode
      down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

      After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the
      problem.

      We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were

      back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all
      day.
      No cell phones. Unthinkable.

      We played dodge ball and sometimes the ball would really hurt. We got
      cut
      and broke bones and broke teeth and there were no law suits from these
      accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame but us.

      Remember accidents? We had fights and punched each other and got black
      and blue and learned to get over it. We ate cupcakes, bread and butter,

      and drank sugar soda but we were never overweight.... .....we were
      always
      outside playing.

      We shared one grape soda with four friends, from one bottle and no one
      died from this?

      We did not have Play stations, Nintendo 64, X Boxes, video games at
      all,
      99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal
      cellular phones, Personal Computers, Internet chat rooms,

      ............... we had friends. We went outside and found them. We rode

      bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rung the

      bell or just walked in and talked to them. Imagine such a thing.
      Without
      asking a parent! By ourselves! Out there in the cold cruel world!
      Without
      a guardian. How did we do it?

      We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and
      although
      we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor
      did
      the worms live inside us forever.

      Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
      didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment..... Some students
      weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were held back to

      repeat the same grade.....Horrors.

      Tests were not adjusted for any reason. Our actions were our own.
      Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind. The idea of a parent

      bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided
      with
      the law, imagine that!

      This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem
      solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years has been an explosion of

      innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and
      responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

      And you're one of them.

      Congratulations!

      Please pass this on to others that have had the luck to grow up as
      kids,
      before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good?