Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Solar Activity Report for 11/11/02

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2002
      --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
      > David, I do not understand what you mean when you say that the magnetic
      > field is pointing North or South. And why this puts a lid on
      significant
      > geomagnetic activity. Walter

      As the solar wind propogates out from the sun, it carries a magnetic
      field along with it. Don't ask me the physics behind exactly how that
      works! Anyway, its called the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF),
      and it can have either a north-pointing or south-pointing polarity.

      Did you know that every compass on Earth is wrong? They're marked 180
      degrees off. What we call the south pole is actually Earth's magnetic
      NORTH pole! Earth's magnetic field lines actually emerge from the
      south magnetic pole and reenter the Earth at the north magnetic pole.
      That makes the south pole, well, the north pole!

      An IMF that has a north polarity will reinforce Earth's own magnetic
      field, since the magnetic field lines will be flowing in the same
      direction as Earth's. That will lessen geomagnetic activity. A
      south-pointing IMF, however, will "collide" with and weaken Earth's
      magnetic field. That lessens Earth's magnetic shielding, and makes
      the Earth more vulnerable to the high speed solar wind.

      When high speed solar wind strikes the Earth's magnetic field lines,
      it causes electrons to be accelerated along the field lines. They
      come crashing down at the magnetic poles and spread out, energizing
      the upper armosphere. The result is....aurora!