Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Solar Activity Report for 11/11/02

  • foryeshua1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2002
      David, I do not understand what you mean when you say that the magnetic
      field is pointing North or South. And why this puts a lid on significant
      geomagnetic activity. Walter

      On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 05:18:20 -0000 "David" <b1blancer1@...>
      writes:
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      The CME from the M-4 flare struck home on Nov 11, and not a whole lot
      happened. The Interplanetary Magnetic Field was pointing north when
      the CME arrived, which pretty much put a lid on any significant
      geomagnetic activity. The solar wind speed is still over the 600
      km/sec mark after peaking at nearly 700 earlier today. With the
      elevated solar wind speed, some aurora are still at least an outside
      possibility, and an aurora watch remains in effect. Look for some
      coronal hole effects to be arriving here on or about the 16th.
      Sunspot region 180 remains a flare-producer, although it is close to
      the western limb of the solar disk.

      IMF Orientatiin : 2.8 nT North

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Solar radiation
      storms reaching the S1 level occurred. Radio blackouts reaching the R1
      level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor. Radio
      blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be moderate. Region 180 remains the most
      likely source of M-class flares and Region 191 appears capable of an
      M-flare as well.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled for the
      next few hours. The arrival of a shock from the M4/CME flare that
      occurred on 09 November is still possible. Active to storm conditions
      are possible on 12 November if this CME impacts the Earth. SOHO-LASCO
      images received after the three-day geomagnetic forecast was finalized
      suggest that another CME was associated with the M1/1n flare mentioned
      in Part IA. Consequently, the numerical and probability forecasts for
      the third day in Parts V and VI below may be modified in tomorrow's
      forecast product.

      (See this link for all the things the above forecast is referencing :
      http://solar.sec.noaa.gov/ftpdir/latest/RSGA.txt )

      11-Nov-2002 1620Z M1.8
      11-Nov-2002 0733Z M2.9
      10-Nov-2002 0321Z M2.4

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2002
        --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
        > David, I do not understand what you mean when you say that the magnetic
        > field is pointing North or South. And why this puts a lid on
        significant
        > geomagnetic activity. Walter

        As the solar wind propogates out from the sun, it carries a magnetic
        field along with it. Don't ask me the physics behind exactly how that
        works! Anyway, its called the Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF),
        and it can have either a north-pointing or south-pointing polarity.

        Did you know that every compass on Earth is wrong? They're marked 180
        degrees off. What we call the south pole is actually Earth's magnetic
        NORTH pole! Earth's magnetic field lines actually emerge from the
        south magnetic pole and reenter the Earth at the north magnetic pole.
        That makes the south pole, well, the north pole!

        An IMF that has a north polarity will reinforce Earth's own magnetic
        field, since the magnetic field lines will be flowing in the same
        direction as Earth's. That will lessen geomagnetic activity. A
        south-pointing IMF, however, will "collide" with and weaken Earth's
        magnetic field. That lessens Earth's magnetic shielding, and makes
        the Earth more vulnerable to the high speed solar wind.

        When high speed solar wind strikes the Earth's magnetic field lines,
        it causes electrons to be accelerated along the field lines. They
        come crashing down at the magnetic poles and spread out, energizing
        the upper armosphere. The result is....aurora!