    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2002
      This is the first time in quite a few days that an aurora watch hasn't
      been in effect! The solar wind speed has finally dropped back to more
      of a nowmal level, and all is quiet for the time being. The respite,
      however, may be short lived. There are two coronal holes visible
      tonight. The first is facing in our direction, but it looks to be too
      far north on the solar disk to send any strong solar wind gusts
      towards Earth. It is possible, however, that we might see a little
      activity from it. If we do, it should be either Saturday or Sunday.
      The other coronal hole is just now rotating into view over the eastern
      limb of the solar disk. That one is straddling the solar equator, and
      will likely be sending some high speed solar wind towards Earth when
      it rotates into position. Look for that to be a factor in about 10
      days or so. Sunspot region 180 is still a potential flare-producer,
      although it has been quiet thusfar. The sunspot number is actually
      rather high, but the Solar Flux Index(SFI) is somewhat lower than the
      sunspot number. That indicates that while there may be several
      sunspot groups present, they aren't particularly engetic.

      IMF Orientation : 0.8 nT North

      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor. Radio
      blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be low to moderate. Region 180 is the
      most likely source of M-class flares.

      Geomagnetic actvity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to become unsettled to active by 10
      November due to a coronal hole.