Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Gaia news alert

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2002
      --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
      > One thing that has received some news but not nearly enough about
      this
      > dam is that there is at least one major fault line running right
      through
      > it. I have suggested that putting into place the North and South
      > geologically centered poles, which could be used to control the
      rotation
      > speed of the earth to keep the plates from shifting at all, by
      stopping
      > moment and stopping all subducting which causes volcano eruptions.
      There
      > is some evidence that there may be some steps being taken toward
      putting
      > them in place. I hope that this is shown to be so. Walter

      I still don't go for the solar-electric jet idea, because it runs
      completely counter to what is known about solar physics. However,
      even if I did, and even if it were possible to do so, I would
      adamantly opposed to altering Earth's natural rotation and plate
      tectonics. Volcanos are absolutely vital to life. They recycle
      minerals from the ocean floor back to the surface, and they replinish
      the atmosphere from the loss of gas into space by the solar wind. If
      it weren't for volcanos, we would not have heavy elements like iron
      near the surface where we can get to them and use them.

      If you want to see what happens when volcanos die, look at
      Mars...barren, cold, comepletely dry (at least on the surface) and
      dead.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2002
        Walt,

        I have to agree with David and would take it a step further and say
        that Gaia expresses this in the symbiotic relationships between the
        Sulfur loving Archae and the other Archae as seen in their genes.

      • foryeshua1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2002
          David, It seems to me that volcanoes do not bring usable iron to the
          surface. In Oregon we have many lava fields which do not have usable
          anything. Lava in almost any form other than dust, (which does work
          some) is so hard that it will have to go through a lot of work before it
          is broken down to usable form.
          The slowing down of the earth due to freezing at the poles is
          basic to bringing the shifting of the poles. You can think of some things
          that might be good about that, but right now I can only think of some
          very bad things.
          I might list some good things that controlling the rotation speed
          of the earth would do. But it doesn't sound like you are interested.
          In my opinion if God has shown us how to do something, it just
          might be possible that He wants us to use it. Of course anything can be
          used for good or bad. Often both are the result.
          Choosing to do nothing because one might feel like he is playing
          God is like not wiping your nose because its natural to drip. Choosing
          to listen to those that think that what is, is what God wants, is not
          logical. We are charged to tend the earth.
          Btw how is the SE theory not in sink with present Solar theory?
          Mars is without volcanos because its plates have not shifted,
          because its shape has not changed, because its rate of rotation has not
          changed, because its poles have not shifted to new spots of rotation,
          because no water has frozen on its poles to get in the way of its SE
          conductivity, because there is not enough water on Mars. Why it lost its
          water I haven't figured out yet. Possibly some passing body, or maybe it
          was pulled someway too close to the Sun. Walter

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2002
            > I might list some good things that controlling the rotation speed
            > of the earth would do. But it doesn't sound like you are interested.

            Its not that, Walter. I simply don't think its possible to do so.

            > Btw how is the SE theory not in sink with present Solar theory?

            Because there has been no evidence of anything like you decribe the SE
            to be found. The sun does have a magnetic field, that is true, but it
            works much differently thatn Earrth's, and is generated in a much
            different way.

            > Mars is without volcanos because its plates have not shifted,
            > because its shape has not changed, because its rate of rotation has
            > not
            > changed, because its poles have not shifted to new spots of rotation,
            > because no water has frozen on its poles to get in the way of its SE
            > conductivity, because there is not enough water on Mars. Why it
            >lost its
            > water I haven't figured out yet.

            Mars' poles are definitely frozen! Its mostly frozen CO2, but there
            may be some frosen water there, too. Mars lost its volcanos because
            there's no geothermal heat to drive them. Its outer core has cooled
            and solidified. It is also known that Mars has no magnetic field.
            When the volcanos on Mars died out, there was nothing to replenish gas
            in the atmosphere. Without the protection of a magnetic field, the
            atmosphere was slowly and relentlessly eaten away by the solar wind,
            and since Mars has less gravity by virtue of being smaller, it was
            less able to try and hold onto that atmosphere. There may be vast
            quantitues of water on Mars underground. The jury is still out on
            that one. Mars does still have an atmosphere, although not much of
            one. Its about 1/100 the density of Earth's. Still, that's enough to
            cause some interesting weather there, including global dust storms,
            clouds (including water ice clouds), and even a visible blue sky
            sometimes, as evidenced by pictures returned by Pathfinder.