Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Gaia news alert

  • foryeshua1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2002
      One thing that has received some news but not nearly enough about this
      dam is that there is at least one major fault line running right through
      it. I have suggested that putting into place the North and South
      geologically centered poles, which could be used to control the rotation
      speed of the earth to keep the plates from shifting at all, by stopping
      moment and stopping all subducting which causes volcano eruptions. There
      is some evidence that there may be some steps being taken toward putting
      them in place. I hope that this is shown to be so. Walter

      On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 22:14:33 -0000 "Mike Doran" <mike@...>
      writes:
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
      tmpl=story&u=/nm/20021106/wl_nm/china_threegorges_dc_1

      China Halts the Yangtze for Three Gorges Dam
      Wed Nov 6, 2:12 AM ET

      BEIJING (Reuters) - China finished blocking the Yangtze River at the
      Three Gorges Dam Wednesday, paving the way for the world's biggest
      hydroelectricity and flood control project to come on stream next
      year, state media said.

      The controversial $25 billion dam, which is forcing the relocation of
      1.2 million peasants living along the river's banks before ancient
      villages and relics are submerged, came two days before a crucial
      Communist Party Congress opens in Beijing.

      State television showed big dump trucks and bulldozers pouring
      boulders into the dam's final opening, a diversion canal built in
      1997 for boats to navigate the river during construction.

      Communist Party number two Li Peng, the long-time power industry
      official expected to retire from his party post at the congress,
      watched through a pair of binoculars.

      He called the dam one of the greatest engineering feats in history,
      the official Xinhua news agency said. "The administration of a
      country's national affairs becomes easier when its rivers are tamed,"
      Li said, citing an old saying.

      The Yangtze waters now flow through 22 diversion holes in the lower
      part of the dam in the central province of Hubei.

      A reservoir will take shape after workers complete the final 2,180
      feet section of the dam, which will stretch 1.4 miles and be 607 feet
      high, over the next eight months, Xinhua said.

      The reservoir will begin to fill next year -- with water scheduled to
      rise 246 feet in 15 days -- when the first four turbines are expected
      to begin generating power, although the project is not due for
      completion until 2009.

      By then, it will have 26 generators providing around 10 percent of
      China's power and have cost $24.65 billion, according to state media.

      Xinhua quoted a senior dam official as saying more than $4.8 billion
      of that had been spent on a project the government says is needed to
      contain the Yangtze's devastating annual floods and meet future power
      demand.

      Critics say the dam, planned decades ago but only begun in 1993, is
      not a practical solution to either problem and could cause severe
      pollution and silting by slowing the river's flow.

      Cracks in the dam 8 feet deep and rumors of rampant corruption have
      also plagued the project.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2002
        --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
        > One thing that has received some news but not nearly enough about
        this
        > dam is that there is at least one major fault line running right
        through
        > it. I have suggested that putting into place the North and South
        > geologically centered poles, which could be used to control the
        rotation
        > speed of the earth to keep the plates from shifting at all, by
        stopping
        > moment and stopping all subducting which causes volcano eruptions.
        There
        > is some evidence that there may be some steps being taken toward
        putting
        > them in place. I hope that this is shown to be so. Walter

        I still don't go for the solar-electric jet idea, because it runs
        completely counter to what is known about solar physics. However,
        even if I did, and even if it were possible to do so, I would
        adamantly opposed to altering Earth's natural rotation and plate
        tectonics. Volcanos are absolutely vital to life. They recycle
        minerals from the ocean floor back to the surface, and they replinish
        the atmosphere from the loss of gas into space by the solar wind. If
        it weren't for volcanos, we would not have heavy elements like iron
        near the surface where we can get to them and use them.

        If you want to see what happens when volcanos die, look at
        Mars...barren, cold, comepletely dry (at least on the surface) and
        dead.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2002
          Walt,

          I have to agree with David and would take it a step further and say
          that Gaia expresses this in the symbiotic relationships between the
          Sulfur loving Archae and the other Archae as seen in their genes.

        • foryeshua1@juno.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 10, 2002
            David, It seems to me that volcanoes do not bring usable iron to the
            surface. In Oregon we have many lava fields which do not have usable
            anything. Lava in almost any form other than dust, (which does work
            some) is so hard that it will have to go through a lot of work before it
            is broken down to usable form.
            The slowing down of the earth due to freezing at the poles is
            basic to bringing the shifting of the poles. You can think of some things
            that might be good about that, but right now I can only think of some
            very bad things.
            I might list some good things that controlling the rotation speed
            of the earth would do. But it doesn't sound like you are interested.
            In my opinion if God has shown us how to do something, it just
            might be possible that He wants us to use it. Of course anything can be
            used for good or bad. Often both are the result.
            Choosing to do nothing because one might feel like he is playing
            God is like not wiping your nose because its natural to drip. Choosing
            to listen to those that think that what is, is what God wants, is not
            logical. We are charged to tend the earth.
            Btw how is the SE theory not in sink with present Solar theory?
            Mars is without volcanos because its plates have not shifted,
            because its shape has not changed, because its rate of rotation has not
            changed, because its poles have not shifted to new spots of rotation,
            because no water has frozen on its poles to get in the way of its SE
            conductivity, because there is not enough water on Mars. Why it lost its
            water I haven't figured out yet. Possibly some passing body, or maybe it
            was pulled someway too close to the Sun. Walter

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2002
              > I might list some good things that controlling the rotation speed
              > of the earth would do. But it doesn't sound like you are interested.

              Its not that, Walter. I simply don't think its possible to do so.

              > Btw how is the SE theory not in sink with present Solar theory?

              Because there has been no evidence of anything like you decribe the SE
              to be found. The sun does have a magnetic field, that is true, but it
              works much differently thatn Earrth's, and is generated in a much
              different way.

              > Mars is without volcanos because its plates have not shifted,
              > because its shape has not changed, because its rate of rotation has
              > not
              > changed, because its poles have not shifted to new spots of rotation,
              > because no water has frozen on its poles to get in the way of its SE
              > conductivity, because there is not enough water on Mars. Why it
              >lost its
              > water I haven't figured out yet.

              Mars' poles are definitely frozen! Its mostly frozen CO2, but there
              may be some frosen water there, too. Mars lost its volcanos because
              there's no geothermal heat to drive them. Its outer core has cooled
              and solidified. It is also known that Mars has no magnetic field.
              When the volcanos on Mars died out, there was nothing to replenish gas
              in the atmosphere. Without the protection of a magnetic field, the
              atmosphere was slowly and relentlessly eaten away by the solar wind,
              and since Mars has less gravity by virtue of being smaller, it was
              less able to try and hold onto that atmosphere. There may be vast
              quantitues of water on Mars underground. The jury is still out on
              that one. Mars does still have an atmosphere, although not much of
              one. Its about 1/100 the density of Earth's. Still, that's enough to
              cause some interesting weather there, including global dust storms,
              clouds (including water ice clouds), and even a visible blue sky
              sometimes, as evidenced by pictures returned by Pathfinder.