Re: Election and Gaia

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
      If you look at the numbers, the shift was pretty small. Maybe 5 or
      so House seats, and two or three Senate seats. The Democrats had a
      net gain of one in Governors. What made it news was that the margin
      in the Senate was so small that this small shift changed the
      majority, and that this election went against the long-standing
      tradition that the party in the White House looses Congressional
      seats in off-year elections.

      I think you, and perhaps many others, may be overestimating the
      impact of last night. From a pure numbers standpoint, the Senate
      only changed a small amount. The Democrats lost 2 seats, and the
      Republicans gained 2. That's not that much. Rarely does a vote
      split straight along party lines. You almost always see cross-overs,
      and that's not going to change now.

      Assuming Johnson(D) holds onto his Senate seat for SD, which I think
      he will when all the recounting is over with, the worst the Democrats
      will see is a 52/47/1 split, and even that's assuming that Terrell(R)
      wins Louisiana in the upcoming runoff. If Landrieu(D) wins LA, then
      you have a 51/48/1 split. Either way, it'll be narrow difference.

      I just don't see that the numbers have changed enough to bring about
      the massive changes you're alluding to. Its not like the Republicans
      hold a 2/3 majority in both houses. Far from it, in fact. You will
      see some things brought about by the changes in committee
      chairmanships and changes in the legislative adgenda, which the
      majority party sets. Hopefully we'll finally get a Homeland Security
      Bill, and maybe some of the judicial nominations that Dachle has been
      blocking can finally be completed.

      And besides, just because I'm a Republican doesn't mean that I want
      to commit wholesale rape upon Planet Earth! I like clean air, clean
      water, a diverse and bountiful flora and fauna, etc etc, just as much
      as you or anybody else! I think you'll find that's the case with
      Republicans most of the time.