Re: Black holed sun . . .

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
      Thanks again, Mike. I appreciate it. I agree about Hemmingway. He's
      amazing. Its a shame he went the way he did, before his time as far
      as I'm concerned.

      Sorry I didn't get a solar activity report posted last night. I was
      too engrossed in watching the election returns! There was nothing
      really earth-shaking to report anyway. The solar wind speed right now
      is around 560 km/sec, with the density about 4 protons/cc. There have
      been a few aurora displays in Canada and northern Europe. The solar
      wind speed is down a little from yesterday from its peak at about 580,
      which would indicate that the main part of the activity is over. No
      major flares to report at this time. I'll post a full report tonight.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
        David wrote:

        I was
        > too engrossed in watching the election returns!

        As we probably all were.

        Republicans did real well.

        I am not surprised. Saddened. But not surprised.

        It isn't magic nor is even that Bush was that charming.

        Rather, the low density base grows.

        In 1960, 60 percent of the population lived in small towns and
        cities. That was your DFL base. The Republicans lived in the emerging
        suburbs.

        Now, 60% live in the burbs. And that number grows.

        But it has its limits. That is why the economy fritters with
        stagnation, as the intense, 10 trillion dollar subsidies of free
        roads continuely looks for economic opportunity. Even now, people
        don't drive not because of cost but wait. Gridlock is the price of
        this transport--much like the lines for bread in the former Soviet
        Union. Politicians are for sale, as certainly they were in this
        election--because there is something basic to sell . . . like a war
        for oil. A billion dollars spent in places like South Dakota . . .

        But this shift in population is also why this Republican political
        expansion is as short sighted as their energy and envioronmental
        policy--and specific to my concern, to a living earth. And that is
        why at the end of the day I would rather be right and teaching it
        then wrong and belonging. My cup runneth over no matter how a long
        commuter in South Dakota votes.

        I have been posting on climate here and elsewhere for about 5 years
        and as the politics change my message really has not yet it has
        stayed on the cutting edge. And I am also convinced it will be there
        for decades. Truth has a way. Already Texico has run ads about
        a 'new' fuel that is not gas/oil in the Gulf of Mexico. What is this
        fuel? Methane from hydrates, of course. The climate implications of
        harvesting them will be enormous there. My view is what we are
        discussing, debating, about the sun and the biosphere's role in
        modulation, and to what degree and to what degree human activity
        interacts with this dynamic is SO far ahead of the curve that it
        isn't even in the scientific periodicals--but it will be. CO2 as a
        GHG is a loser, but Gaia in the context of cloud behavior, EMFs, is
        not, because it gets to the causal aspects of climate. It suffers
        from complexity, is about all. That is where education comes in.

        By 2009 Three Gorge will be filling and the climate implications of
        that are going to be impossible to ignore. By then we will have a
        visit to Hubbert's Peak, and I think the science of clouds will grow
        to the point that when we as a general public look back at this
        election, we will be very saddened collectively.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
          If you look at the numbers, the shift was pretty small. Maybe 5 or
          so House seats, and two or three Senate seats. The Democrats had a
          net gain of one in Governors. What made it news was that the margin
          in the Senate was so small that this small shift changed the
          majority, and that this election went against the long-standing
          tradition that the party in the White House looses Congressional
          seats in off-year elections.

          I think you, and perhaps many others, may be overestimating the
          impact of last night. From a pure numbers standpoint, the Senate
          only changed a small amount. The Democrats lost 2 seats, and the
          Republicans gained 2. That's not that much. Rarely does a vote
          split straight along party lines. You almost always see cross-overs,
          and that's not going to change now.

          Assuming Johnson(D) holds onto his Senate seat for SD, which I think
          he will when all the recounting is over with, the worst the Democrats
          will see is a 52/47/1 split, and even that's assuming that Terrell(R)
          wins Louisiana in the upcoming runoff. If Landrieu(D) wins LA, then
          you have a 51/48/1 split. Either way, it'll be narrow difference.

          I just don't see that the numbers have changed enough to bring about
          the massive changes you're alluding to. Its not like the Republicans
          hold a 2/3 majority in both houses. Far from it, in fact. You will
          see some things brought about by the changes in committee
          chairmanships and changes in the legislative adgenda, which the
          majority party sets. Hopefully we'll finally get a Homeland Security
          Bill, and maybe some of the judicial nominations that Dachle has been
          blocking can finally be completed.

          And besides, just because I'm a Republican doesn't mean that I want
          to commit wholesale rape upon Planet Earth! I like clean air, clean
          water, a diverse and bountiful flora and fauna, etc etc, just as much
          as you or anybody else! I think you'll find that's the case with
          Republicans most of the time.