    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
      Today's solar activity report is dedicated to the memory of my Mother.
      November 4th would have been her birthday. She went home to be with
      Jesus on July 16, 1996, at the age of 79.

      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      The Earth is now entering the high speed solar wind stream I mentioned
      in my last report, and an aurora watch is in effect. The solar wind
      speed has topped thr 550 km/sec mark, and has been climbing all day.
      Some aurora made something of a surprise appearance last night,
      showing up in Alaska, Canada, and northern Europe. See this link for
      some pictures :
      http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/gallery_03nov02.html .
      More aurora are a possibility tonight and tomorrow night as the high
      speed solar wind persists. Sunspot region 177, and newly appreared
      suspot region 180 show the best possibility for generating flares.
      Region has already been active, firing off an M-1 class flare on
      11/3.

      IMF Orientation : 6.8 nT

      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.
      Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected. Radio blackouts
      reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be at low to moderate levels. Regions
      177 and 180 exhibit the potential for M-class flare production.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at unsettled to active levels
      with occasional minor to major storm levels mostly at high latitudes
      through day two. Mostly unsettled conditions with isolated active
      periods are expected on day three.

      03-Nov-2002 1403Z M1.3
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
        > Today's solar activity report is dedicated to the memory of my
        Mother.
        > November 4th would have been her birthday. She went home to be with
        > Jesus on July 16, 1996, at the age of 79.

        No man is an island.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
          With the SOI so positive and the wind so positive I wouldn't be
          surprised to see something tropical in the W. Car . . .

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
            --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "Mike Doran" <mike@u...> wrote:
            > With the SOI so positive and the wind so positive I wouldn't be
            > surprised to see something tropical in the W. Car . . .

            EEK! I hope not. Coastal Texas and LA have had enough rain. They
            don't need anything tropical wandering ashore.
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
              --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "Mike Doran" <mike@u...> wrote:
              > > Today's solar activity report is dedicated to the memory of my
              > Mother.
              > > November 4th would have been her birthday. She went home to be with
              > > Jesus on July 16, 1996, at the age of 79.
              > >

              > No man is an island.

              Thank you, Mike. I appreciate it very much.