Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] The Cause of Tornadoes.

    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 9, 2002
      I drove 2 1/2 hours that day just to visit Norman after that storm.
      I was visiting my relatives in Tulsa for a week and heard stories all
      day. There are other aspects to it, like the so called urban heat
      isle effect, that I beleive has an EMF aspect to it.

      Anyway, just a small tiny point. When a storm front advances, it
      advances toward a fair weather area w/ a fair weather voltage applied
      to it. For this reason alone, the ions on the ground should net
      positive. This attracts electrons from the lower clouds and
      seperates charges inside the cloud and makes the upper clouds more
      positive. Those changes then vary IR levels in the upper clouds
      because of the attractive/repulsive dynamic between upper cloud and
      ionosphere. That day, the dynamic was even more "charged" because a
      ripping jet stream was moving from Lawton OK north east. Yet, even
      w/ the jet stream, in the largest cities in the region, OK City,
      Tulsa and Wichita KS, the LARGEST tornadoes all struck the southern
      most aspects of the urban centers! Coriolis and a UHI explains some
      of this, but not all. Further, rainfall studies pre olympics for
      Atlanta noted not only the UHI but much greater rainfall occurring in
      the southern most aspect of the urban area!

      A glass church and essentially a rock like parking lot would probably
      NOT be a source of protons, despite the fair weather. Glass, if I
      recall correctly, can loose electrons, but not protons. I might be
      wrong, but, again, I suspect that Walt is right about positive
      currents flowing easily through the neighborhood and then above in
      the cloud dynamic you have cirrus rising toward the ionosphere. All
      it would take is a good strike to the church top and that would be it-
      -the whole thing shorts out because instead of protons rising to the
      cloud electrons slam to the ground. The cirrus become extremely
      positively charged and sprite and elve activity simultaniously occurs-
      -and all of a sudden the cirrus are no longer IR players but fall to
      the ground as rain, vacuum affect gone.

      Again, it is my view this is extremely related to EMFs and without
      them the storm would not have near as much pop.

      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 19, 2002
        I am no expert on the subject. However I have read the Lindzen, Fu
        and Hartmann papers and think I know enough to apply EMFs to the
        cloud dynamics via cirrus IR forcings in a meaningful manner.

        Even if high clouds lead to relative heat stability heat loss leads
        to cooling, more dense and falling air. RELATIVELY speaking, the
        contrasts create instability.