Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] The Cause of Tornadoes.

  • foryeshua1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 9, 2002
      Mike, I am sorry I implied that I was talking about drilling platforms,
      I was talking about when they FIRST STARTED DRILLING FOR OIL. They
      barely knew how to make a drill let alone have what they have now. To
      imply that rigs are not hit now because they know something is absolutely
      right. They know how to insulate the drill as it goes through the
      ground. If they had not found out how to do that they would not be
      drilling now. Walter

      On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 16:35:31 -0000 fredwx <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      writes:
      I don't know the statistics regarding lightning hits on oil platforms
      but I would guess they have developed good protectice measures and
      are not a significant problem. I also think tornado hits are
      extremly rare (do you know of any cases?).

      The main threat to oil rigs is hig waves and high winds from storms.
      (and perhaps icebergs for rigs off of newfoundland).

      Fred

      --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
      > Kirk, When oil drilling rigs were first being tried they were
      destroyed
      > by two things. Ligntening burned them, and tornadoes twisted them
      > shreds. They were afraid that for a while they could not overcome
      these
      > problems. They then found that when they insulated the drilling
      shaft
      > both problems were stopped. The only problem is that they didn't
      use
      > that information they found to explain and understand what caused
      both
      > lightening and tornadoes. The culprit is electrical discharge from
      the
      > ground through the funnel to the clouds and into the jet stream
      above.
      > What demands the flow is the current in the jet stream. Acting
      like a
      > siphoning hose the flow of current goes along well when its
      following
      > cloud and storms are over well conducting land and the discharge is
      > smooth or building, but when one or some of the storms feeding the
      jet
      > stream are pulled over nonconductive places, the jet stream sucks
      on the
      > path demanding more as it is being forced to slow down its flow.
      This
      > causes a sort of jump demand on areas that are potential sources of
      > discharge. This jump demand bring into place pathways of moisture
      for
      > the flow to go through. All of this is weather related because we
      have
      > observed the high air and low air and the fronts that have to come
      > together to provide the right demands for electrical discharge of
      the
      > Solar Electrojet Current.
      > The display of tornadoes in the North East was caused I
      believe
      > by a network of chem trails which laid a completely total net of
      > discharge pathways over all of the area. This net was used by the
      SE to
> [...]
      areas
      > that will only use them for conductors to any storm that might pass
      close
      > enough to demand SE through them. Each situation can be analyzed
      and
      > protection from tornado destruction can be provided by simply
      following
      > the rules of insulating and conductance to provide safety places
      for man
      > and his buildings. A problem of course in this method is that
      seeing the
      > whole picture of what happens when storms pass over different
      places in
      > given areas, is a many splendered problem. Many variables are
      involved,
      > and it is likely that errors of thinking through what will happen
      will
      > occur. However the task of doing the analyzing is a beginning and
      will
      > in the long run protect what man doesn't want destroyed. The rules
      are
      > all electrical and are very basically simple.
      > Many meterologists have tried to understand Tornados, but
      because
      > they really don't know the basic principles involved, their
      analysis have
      > ended up with no basic reasonings with have given man controlling
      > answers. If people would have given the tornado stopping, when
      wells
      > were drilled as they were insulated from the surrounding layers of
      > conducting minerals that were being drilled through, the same
      amount of
      > effort as the weather men have, we certainly ought to have solved
      the
      > problem by now.
      > I thought I had covered this topic on my web site.
      > Http://www.vorbitz.com/electrojet If anyone has specific
      questions I
      > would be glad to share my opinions. Dr. Walter O. Peterson
      >
      > On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 02:48:44 -0600 "kirk" <kirk@3...> writes:
      > Opinions?
      > Kirk
      >
      > http://nov55.com/tor.html
      > The Cause of Tornadoes
      > Tornadoes are caused when a cloud of the right size precipitates
      rapidly
      > releasing heat, which causes it to rise and creates a vacuum under
      it.
      > Air
      > rushing under it creates the vortex.
      >
      > As much as tornadoes have been studied, and as obvious as the
      physics is,
      > the weather predictors still don't have it figured out. Only newly
      > forming
      > rain clouds can create tornadoes, yet tornado warnings are always
      given
      > for
      > old clouds.
      >
      > It is known that a sudden drop in air pressure precedes tornadoes.
      The
      > pressure drop is caused by a cloud near the ground rising rapidly
      > creating a
      > partial vacuum below it.
      >
      > Precipitation releases as much heat as evaporation absorbs. But
      > precipitation tends to be much faster than evaporation. So a very
      large
      > amount of heat is released when a cloud precipitates.
      >
      > Heat of course causes air to rise. When a cloud near the ground
      rises, it
      > creates a partial vacuum under it.
      >
      > The cloud must be the right size for a tornado to occur. A very
      large
      > cloud
      > would not precipitate uniformly, so the whole cloud would not rise
      at
      > once.
      > A very small cloud would not produce enough precipitation or heat to
      > create
      > a large enough vacuum for a tornado to form.
      >
      > Also, the height from the ground would be important, because the
      speed at
      > which the air moves in rushing under it will depend upon the amount
      of
      > space
      > below the cloud.
      >
      > These dynamics only exist during the first few minutes of the
      formation
      > of a
      > heavy cloud. Older clouds precipitate gradually and higher in the
      air, so
      > no
      > vacuum is created.
      >
      > Modern doppler radar substantiates this point. When a tornado is
      > reported,
      > doppler radar shows that a new cloud formed out of nowhere where the
      > tornado
      > was said to be.
      >
      > Therefore, if people are to be warned in advanced, it has to be for
      an
      > area
      > where clouds are expected to form but have not yet appeared.
      >
      > It might be possible to prevent a cloud from creating a tornado by
      > seeding
      > part of it, so it precipitates prematurely and nonuniformly. But
      the time
      > factor would be a problem in locating a newly forming cloud.
      >
      > Cumulous clouds will not create tornadoes, because they dissipate
      energy
      > continuously, and they precipitate too high in the air. A tornado
      cloud
      > has
      > to form rapidly and dissipate its energy all at once. This occurs
      when
      > hot,
      > humid air hits colder air. A typical example is gulf air turning
      north
      > and
      > colliding with other air over Arkansas. In the northern plains,
      clouds
      > usually form more gradually and dissipate energy through cumulous
> [...]
      Service.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 19, 2002
        I am no expert on the subject. However I have read the Lindzen, Fu
        and Hartmann papers and think I know enough to apply EMFs to the
        cloud dynamics via cirrus IR forcings in a meaningful manner.

        Even if high clouds lead to relative heat stability heat loss leads
        to cooling, more dense and falling air. RELATIVELY speaking, the
        contrasts create instability.