RE: [Methane Hydrate Club] Rings around the Earth??

  • kirk
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2002
      Snowball Earth

      Another interesting aspect of the modeling work is its implications
      for the so-called "Snowball Earth" theory. This theory holds that the
      earth was completely frozen over at the surface as many as four times
      in the neoproterozoic period - 750 to 580 million years ago. While
      much remains to be learned about the geologic evidence for this
      theory, "an opaque ring could have acted as the trigger to at least
      one episode of global glaciation," the two researchers say. This would
      address one difficult question for the theorists: how did earth come
      to be frozen?

      If the earth was completely frozen where did the life survive? Land plants
      and trees don't grow well in the ocean.
      Land animals either.

      Kirk
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2002
        > If the earth was completely frozen where did the life survive? Land
        plants
        > and trees don't grow well in the ocean.
        > Land animals either.
        >
        > Kirk

        Beats the heck outta me! I'm assuming they don't mean that it was
        literally a solid impenetrable sheet of ice.
      • foryeshua1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 13, 2002
          I would reject the idea that the earth could have been frozen over its
          whole surface. If the SE causes the ice to form as I believe it does, it
          will only freeze two spots at the same time. The North and South poles.
          Walter

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 13, 2002
            --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
            > I would reject the idea that the earth could have been frozen over its
            > whole surface. If the SE causes the ice to form as I believe it
            does, it
            > will only freeze two spots at the same time. The North and South poles.
            > Walter
            > On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:07:24 -0600 "kirk" <kirk@3...> writes:

            I must admit that I had heard of the "snowball earth" theory before.
            It does sound a bit hard to believe.