Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Solar Activity Report for 9/8/02

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2002
      --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
      > B1, I do not understand what is meant by "the interplanetary field swung
      > sharply Southward." My concept of the magnetosphere is a field
      which is
      > blunted on the Sun side and which trails out behind the earth a long
      way.
      > If it is this field as it reacts with other planets, then I have some
      > concept of what it is. Walter

      You're right about the magnetosphere. In fact, our club picture is a
      representation of it. The part that trails out behind is called the
      magnetotail. Interesting trivia item : The largest object in the
      solar system is not the sun, but Jupiter's magnetotail! The Earth's
      magentosphere, contrary to what you would think, emerges from the
      south pole and reenters at the north pole. By strict definition, what
      we call the north pole is actually the magnetic south pole!

      The interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) comes from the sun's magnetic
      field, and is carried by the solar wind. Therefore, the solar wind
      has a magnetic field associated with it. The IMF is measured in nT
      (nano-telsas). It isn't very strong. It usually runs at 15 nT or
      less. In contrast, Earth's magnetic field is around 40,000 nT.

      The IMF can either be north or south pointing. A south pointing IMF
      is pointing opposite from the flow of Earth's magnetic field flow.
      The result is that a south-pointing IMF will interfere with and weaken
      Earth's magnetic field. Basically, just think of two fans sitting on
      a table and pointing at each other. The airflow from one interferes
      with and weakens the airflow from the other. When Earth's magnetic
      field gets weakened, its renders the Earth more prone to the solar
      wind gusts, and geomagnetic storms (and aurora) can be the result.
    • foryeshua1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2002
        David, Thank you for that descriptive reply. I am reading it over until
        I see what you are talking about. I may ask again about parts of it. But
        again I want to thank you for this great reply. Walter

        On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:34:53 -0000 "David" <b1blancer1@...>
        writes:
        --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
        > B1, I do not understand what is meant by "the interplanetary field
        swung
        > sharply Southward." My concept of the magnetosphere is a field
        which is
        > blunted on the Sun side and which trails out behind the earth a long
        way.
        > If it is this field as it reacts with other planets, then I have some
        > concept of what it is. Walter

        You're right about the magnetosphere. In fact, our club picture is a
        representation of it. The part that trails out behind is called the
        magnetotail. Interesting trivia item : The largest object in the
        solar system is not the sun, but Jupiter's magnetotail! The Earth's
        magentosphere, contrary to what you would think, emerges from the
        south pole and reenters at the north pole. By strict definition, what
        we call the north pole is actually the magnetic south pole!

        The interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) comes from the sun's magnetic
        field, and is carried by the solar wind. Therefore, the solar wind
        has a magnetic field associated with it. The IMF is measured in nT
        (nano-telsas). It isn't very strong. It usually runs at 15 nT or
        less. In contrast, Earth's magnetic field is around 40,000 nT.

        The IMF can either be north or south pointing. A south pointing IMF
        is pointing opposite from the flow of Earth's magnetic field flow.
        The result is that a south-pointing IMF will interfere with and weaken
        Earth's magnetic field. Basically, just think of two fans sitting on
        a table and pointing at each other. The airflow from one interferes
        with and weakens the airflow from the other. When Earth's magnetic
        field gets weakened, its renders the Earth more prone to the solar
        wind gusts, and geomagnetic storms (and aurora) can be the result.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2002
          No problem Walter!
        • foryeshua1@juno.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 13, 2002
            Hey David I appreciate the jesture,but what do you refer to? Walter

            On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:08:32 -0000 "David" <b1blancer1@...>
            writes:
            No problem Walter!

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 13, 2002
              --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
              > Hey David I appreciate the jesture,but what do you refer to? Walter

              That was in response to your post #1313.