Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Solar Activity Report for 9/8/02

  • foryeshua1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2002
      B1, I do not understand what is meant by "the interplanetary field swung
      sharply Southward." My concept of the magnetosphere is a field which is
      blunted on the Sun side and which trails out behind the earth a long way.
      If it is this field as it reacts with other planets, then I have some
      concept of what it is. Walter

      On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 05:35:19 -0000 "b1blancer_29501"
      <b1blancer1@...> writes:
      A CME kicked off by a C-class flare impacted Earth's megnetosphere on
      Saturday, and the Interplanetary Magnetic Field swung sharply
      southward. The result was a geomagnetic storm that peaked at the G-3
      (strong) level. Aurora were spotted as far south as North Carolina,
      as well as numerous locations across the northern US, Canada, and
      Europe. See this link for some great aurora pictures :
      http://science.nasa.gov/spaceweather/aurora/gallery_07sep02.html .
      The geomagnetic storm has subsided, but there could be more action on
      the way. A coronal hole is in an Earth-pointing position, and we
      could see some high-speed solar wind gusts from it as early as
      Tuesday. Moderate solar activity is expected to continue, with
      sunspot region 105 being the most likely source of flares.

      Solar wind pressure : n/a

      IMF : 9.5 nT
      IMF Orientation : 4.6 nT North

      Conditions for the last 24 hours : Space weather for the past 24 hours
      has been minor. Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Forecast for the next 24 hours :
      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor. Radio
      blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be moderate. Region 105 is the most
      likely source of energetic flares.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled. Activity
      levels may increase by the end of the three-day forecast period in
      response to an extension of the south polar coronal hole.

      08-Sep-2002 0143Z M1.5

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 12, 2002
        --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
        > B1, I do not understand what is meant by "the interplanetary field swung
        > sharply Southward." My concept of the magnetosphere is a field
        which is
        > blunted on the Sun side and which trails out behind the earth a long
        way.
        > If it is this field as it reacts with other planets, then I have some
        > concept of what it is. Walter

        You're right about the magnetosphere. In fact, our club picture is a
        representation of it. The part that trails out behind is called the
        magnetotail. Interesting trivia item : The largest object in the
        solar system is not the sun, but Jupiter's magnetotail! The Earth's
        magentosphere, contrary to what you would think, emerges from the
        south pole and reenters at the north pole. By strict definition, what
        we call the north pole is actually the magnetic south pole!

        The interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) comes from the sun's magnetic
        field, and is carried by the solar wind. Therefore, the solar wind
        has a magnetic field associated with it. The IMF is measured in nT
        (nano-telsas). It isn't very strong. It usually runs at 15 nT or
        less. In contrast, Earth's magnetic field is around 40,000 nT.

        The IMF can either be north or south pointing. A south pointing IMF
        is pointing opposite from the flow of Earth's magnetic field flow.
        The result is that a south-pointing IMF will interfere with and weaken
        Earth's magnetic field. Basically, just think of two fans sitting on
        a table and pointing at each other. The airflow from one interferes
        with and weakens the airflow from the other. When Earth's magnetic
        field gets weakened, its renders the Earth more prone to the solar
        wind gusts, and geomagnetic storms (and aurora) can be the result.
      • foryeshua1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2002
          David, Thank you for that descriptive reply. I am reading it over until
          I see what you are talking about. I may ask again about parts of it. But
          again I want to thank you for this great reply. Walter

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 12, 2002
            No problem Walter!
          • foryeshua1@juno.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 13, 2002
              Hey David I appreciate the jesture,but what do you refer to? Walter

              On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:08:32 -0000 "David" <b1blancer1@...>
              writes:
              No problem Walter!

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 13, 2002
                --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., foryeshua1@j... wrote:
                > Hey David I appreciate the jesture,but what do you refer to? Walter

                That was in response to your post #1313.