    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2002
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      The Earth is catching some solar wind gusts this evening due to
      coronal hole effects. As I write this, the Interplanetary Magnetic
      Field has taken a sharp southerly orientation, and I wouldn't discount
      the possibility that there is some geomagnetic storm activity going
      on. Skywatchers should keep an eye out for aurora over the next 24
      hours. There are ten sunspot groups visible, and the sunspot number
      is higher than it has been for awhile. However, so far only one of
      them, sunspot region 95, looks like it has any flare-generating
      potential. An X-class flare from that region is a possibility.
      Whenever you see a large disparity between the sunspot number and the
      SFI where the sunspot number is significantly higher, that means you
      have a lot of sunspots, but most of them aren't really active
      regions.

      IMF Orientation : 14 nT South

      Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor. Radio
      blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

      Solar activity forecast :
      Solar activity is expected to be low to moderate. Region 95 has the
      potential for M-class activity.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled. Isolated
      active conditions are possible on day one of the forecast period due
      to the weak CME passage and a recurring coronal hole. Greater than 2
      MeV electron flux at geo-synchronous orbit is expected to be moderate
      to high on day three of the forecast period.

      03-Sep-2002 0054Z M1.0