Re: Massive Solar Eruption

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
      This, again, matches well w/ the typhoon in the W. Pac.

      --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., fredwx <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
      > tmpl=story&ncid=585&e=1&cid=585&u=/nm/20020701/sc_nm/space_sun_dc_1
      >
      > WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A massive solar eruption, more than 30 times
      > the length of Earth's diameter, blasted away from the sun on
      Monday,
      > and a satellite captured graphic images of the event.
      >
      > Photos
      >
      > Reuters Photo
      >

      > The eruption occurred at 9:19 a.m. EDT and showed up in a picture
      > taken by one instrument of the SOHO satellite as a fiery-
      > looking "leg" in the lower-left corner of the image, scientists
      said
      > in a statement.
      >
      > Pictures taken over the following 90 minutes by another SOHO
      > instrument show a loopy-looking eruption taking place and then
      > dispersing. All images are visible at the SOHO Web site,
      > http://soho.nascom.nasa ( news - web sites).gov.
      >
      > The "leg" is what astronomers call an eruptive prominence, which is
      > loop of magnetic fields that trap hot gas inside. As this
      prominence
      > became unstable, it erupted into the area around the sun and
      appeared
      > to dissipate.
      >
      > If eruptions like these are aimed at Earth, they can disturb
      Earth's
      > magnetosphere, but this one was not directed at our planet, a
      > spokesman for SOHO said by telephone.
      >
      > SOHO -- short for Solar and Heliospheric Observatory -- is run by
      the
      > National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the European
      Space

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
        I hadn't lately checked on the McKenzie river research on the
        Methanogens--where they are coring several thousand feet down where
        methanogens were found. Interestingly, some of these microbes have
        the ability to slow their metabolism down and only have cell division
        on hundred year time scales! There is a reported metablism potential
        to go the other way out of site. I wonder what even in the past year
        scientific discovery has brought us--certainly a better understanding
        of this microbrial habitat. The comment below about the biosphere
        that is being discussed as at least equal to the terrosphere boggles
        the mind. The link below is interesting:

        http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/pb4/pg3/projects/mallik-info.html

        "This deep biosphere must play a fundamental role in global
        biogeochemical cycles over both short and longer time scales because
        its mass is approximately comparable to that of the surface biosphere
        (Whiteman et al., 1998; Pedersen, 2000).

        The presence of viable methanogens within subsurface sediments points
        to the potential for in situ generation of microbial gas (Colwell et
        al., 1999). The investigated core revealed a gradient in the isotopic
        composition of the included gas from its top to base with several
        transitions zones (Lorenson et al., 1999). The upper section above
        the base of ice-bonded permafrost (600 m) was mainly dominated by
        biogenic gas, whereas this gas was thought to be diluted by
        thermogenic gas with increasing depth. A distinct transition zone at
        the lower part of the permafrost area indicates that the ice-bonded
        permafrost may have acted as a partial seal, impeding gas migration
        and the mixing of microbially generated gas from above and the flux
        of thermal gas from below. Below the permafrost boundary, both gas
        wetness and isotopic composition suggest a mixing of microbial and
        thermogenic gas, but with a distinct dominance of the latter.
        Nevertheless the still observable in-situ microbial gas production
        points to the existence of a deep microbial community of methanogenic
        bacteria. The highest gas yield can be observed from ca 900 m to 1110
        m in the zone of gas hydrate stability. The Mallik gas hydrate zone
        seems to trap mainly thermogenic gas and with that to act as a
        partial barrier to gas migration from below. The existence of
        bacterial populations (Colwell et al., 1999), biogenic methane and a
        gas hydrate zone (Lorenson et al., 1999) in deeper parts of the
        Mallik sites bears a promising opportunity that anaerobic processes
        like methanogenesis or AOM are important metabolic pathways in a deep
        biosphere community especially near the gas hydrate zone, which can
        be utilized as a carbon source."

        We think we have biosphere, climate, fossil fuel issues now--wait til
        man, in his infinite stupidity, begins to mess with this part of the
        biosphere.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
          --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "pawnfart" <mike@u...> wrote:
          > This, again, matches well w/ the typhoon in the W. Pac.

          Don't get to excited over it, Pawn. Geomagnetic-wise, it was a
          non-event. It looks like it did launch a CME, but it wasn't
          earth-directed. It sure makes for a darned impressive picture,
          though. Wow!!

          It looks like it erupted pretty close to sunspot region 19. This
          could be a sign of interesting things to come as that sunspot group
          rotates into an earth-pointing position. There wasn't a significant
          flare associated with the event, however.