Massive Solar Eruption

  • fredwx
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?
      tmpl=story&ncid=585&e=1&cid=585&u=/nm/20020701/sc_nm/space_sun_dc_1

      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A massive solar eruption, more than 30 times
      the length of Earth's diameter, blasted away from the sun on Monday,
      and a satellite captured graphic images of the event.

      Photos

      Reuters Photo

      The eruption occurred at 9:19 a.m. EDT and showed up in a picture
      taken by one instrument of the SOHO satellite as a fiery-
      looking "leg" in the lower-left corner of the image, scientists said
      in a statement.

      Pictures taken over the following 90 minutes by another SOHO
      instrument show a loopy-looking eruption taking place and then
      dispersing. All images are visible at the SOHO Web site,
      http://soho.nascom.nasa ( news - web sites).gov.

      The "leg" is what astronomers call an eruptive prominence, which is a
      loop of magnetic fields that trap hot gas inside. As this prominence
      became unstable, it erupted into the area around the sun and appeared
      to dissipate.

      If eruptions like these are aimed at Earth, they can disturb Earth's
      magnetosphere, but this one was not directed at our planet, a
      spokesman for SOHO said by telephone.

      SOHO -- short for Solar and Heliospheric Observatory -- is run by the
      National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the European Space
      Agency.

      --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "b1blancer_29501" <b1blancer1@e...>

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
        This, again, matches well w/ the typhoon in the W. Pac.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
          I hadn't lately checked on the McKenzie river research on the
          Methanogens--where they are coring several thousand feet down where
          methanogens were found. Interestingly, some of these microbes have
          the ability to slow their metabolism down and only have cell division
          on hundred year time scales! There is a reported metablism potential
          to go the other way out of site. I wonder what even in the past year
          scientific discovery has brought us--certainly a better understanding
          of this microbrial habitat. The comment below about the biosphere
          that is being discussed as at least equal to the terrosphere boggles
          the mind. The link below is interesting:

          http://www.gfz-potsdam.de/pb4/pg3/projects/mallik-info.html

          "This deep biosphere must play a fundamental role in global
          biogeochemical cycles over both short and longer time scales because
          its mass is approximately comparable to that of the surface biosphere
          (Whiteman et al., 1998; Pedersen, 2000).

          The presence of viable methanogens within subsurface sediments points
          to the potential for in situ generation of microbial gas (Colwell et
          al., 1999). The investigated core revealed a gradient in the isotopic
          composition of the included gas from its top to base with several
          transitions zones (Lorenson et al., 1999). The upper section above
          the base of ice-bonded permafrost (600 m) was mainly dominated by
          biogenic gas, whereas this gas was thought to be diluted by
          thermogenic gas with increasing depth. A distinct transition zone at
          the lower part of the permafrost area indicates that the ice-bonded
          permafrost may have acted as a partial seal, impeding gas migration
          and the mixing of microbially generated gas from above and the flux
          of thermal gas from below. Below the permafrost boundary, both gas
          wetness and isotopic composition suggest a mixing of microbial and
          thermogenic gas, but with a distinct dominance of the latter.
          Nevertheless the still observable in-situ microbial gas production
          points to the existence of a deep microbial community of methanogenic
          bacteria. The highest gas yield can be observed from ca 900 m to 1110
          m in the zone of gas hydrate stability. The Mallik gas hydrate zone
          seems to trap mainly thermogenic gas and with that to act as a
          partial barrier to gas migration from below. The existence of
          bacterial populations (Colwell et al., 1999), biogenic methane and a
          gas hydrate zone (Lorenson et al., 1999) in deeper parts of the
          Mallik sites bears a promising opportunity that anaerobic processes
          like methanogenesis or AOM are important metabolic pathways in a deep
          biosphere community especially near the gas hydrate zone, which can
          be utilized as a carbon source."

          We think we have biosphere, climate, fossil fuel issues now--wait til
          man, in his infinite stupidity, begins to mess with this part of the
          biosphere.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
            --- In methanehydrateclub@y..., "pawnfart" <mike@u...> wrote:
            > This, again, matches well w/ the typhoon in the W. Pac.

            Don't get to excited over it, Pawn. Geomagnetic-wise, it was a
            non-event. It looks like it did launch a CME, but it wasn't
            earth-directed. It sure makes for a darned impressive picture,
            though. Wow!!

            It looks like it erupted pretty close to sunspot region 19. This
            could be a sign of interesting things to come as that sunspot group
            rotates into an earth-pointing position. There wasn't a significant
            flare associated with the event, however.