Comparing and contrasting N. Cortez Sea in Gulf of California and Florida

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2002
      A distribution of methane:

      W/ the understanding that methane in the air is meaningless compared
      to methane frozen in the ocean (and if it melts it dissolves in the
      ocean anyway, compare the E. GOM w/ the GOC.

      I would like to further compare and contrast these areas. Before I
      compare and contrast, let me digress.

      I brouse weather and climate bbs everywhere, like I am sure most of
      you do. One place I occasionally check because I want to know what
      some RWNs think about climate is Trash Talk. Tonight I am going to
      quote and link a "warmer" who went into a enemy area and posted. It
      is a good post on the sun and climate, so I repost it here. Most of
      you know what I think about the sun . . . so I won't comment excep to
      say that you need to go to what Tom Ree posted 06-26-2002 06:20 AM:

      Now, I have to make a brief comment about how the Bay of Cortez
      remains a dry stripe or protron source--and it was really cool to see
      in east Texas a Doran wave shorted out with a handful of CLOUDLESS
      strikes. See http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag87.html Meanwhile,
      even as SSTs have cooled from all the storming to the E. GOM already
      there are strikes and rain again in Florida starting where the Black
      Algae was found this early spring--even as most of the E. GOM is now
      dry and proton producing, no doubt, with winds . . .

      So, even under the best Doran wave circumstances there is no storms
      over Arizona to the Bay of Cortez in the Gulf of California DESPITE A
      LOW PRESSURE, whereas Florida, with all its biological activity,
      after a month of storming and cold SSTs and the ambiant winds moving
      away and an almost entire E. GOM inducting by winds against cirrus--
      it is producing hydrology feedbacks!
    • fredwx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2002
        <<even under the best Doran wave circumstances there is no storms
        over Arizona to the Bay of Cortez in the Gulf of California DESPITE A
        LOW PRESSURE, whereas Florida, with all its biological activity,
        after a month of storming and cold SSTs and the ambiant winds moving
        away and an almost entire E. GOM inducting by winds against cirrus--
        it is producing hydrology feedbacks!>>

        The Bay (Sea)of Cortez and Arizona don not get much activity until
        later in the season (Aug-Sept). There is a semi permenant heat low
        pressure area over the region due to the heat.

        As far as Florida goes, you are correct. The rainy season has begun
        with many areas reporting above normal rainfalls and this does lower
        the SST's due to cumulus clouds and rainfall from convective
        activity.