2606Re: Bush administration bombs again

    Feb 28, 2006
      From a standpoint of adding energy to a hurricane, the bomb is not
      significant. Perhaps the idea is if there is a low pressure area if
      you add air to that low pressure in the form of a solid that burns to
      a gas, you have a higher pressure, lower wind gradiants, and the
      hurricane weakens. The idea is simple--but flawed.

      This discussion on adding pressure ignores that in the process of
      adding air you are also adding chemistry and particles to the air.
      This is what I can tell you based on what I am studying--from my
      eyes. Hurricane Andrew was a 5 mesovortice hurricane. It is a
      signifant hurricane from an ELECTRICAL standpoint because it occurred
      shortly after a volcano called Mt. Pinatubo blew and added huge
      amounts of SOx chemistry into the atmosphere. The chemistry is added
      to the forming cloud droplets, and when those droplets are in a
      magnetic field, the ions tend to migrate to the poles of their
      microfields, and that changes the droplet morphology--how added water
      molecules bond to the droplet. Then that impacts phase change rates,
      and on larger scales, how clouds behave. The bomb would have the
      exact wrong impact, IMHO, likely bringing winds down closer to the
      surface. A hurricane called Bret which occurred a few years after
      Andrew had the same landfalling barametric pressure, but its surface
      winds inland near its core were about 75 mph--with winds aloft much

      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran"
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic