2521Re: Solar Activity Report for 8/11/05

  • space1weather
    Aug 20, 2005
      , "David" <b1blancer1@e...> wrote:
      > --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, space1weather
      > If this is true, it just made things a whole lot more
      complicated. On
      > a global scale, we know that an absence of sunspots, even for a
      > relatively short time, can cause a striking effect. From what I've
      > seen, though, I don't believe coronal hole frequency changes with
      > sunspot cycles.

      I asked that coronal hole question to a well regarded SEC solar
      expert years ago. She said she did not have the answer. Well if the
      aurora was not seen for decades in the northern latitudes during the
      Maunder minimum then the coronal holes had to have been absent
      during the lulls.

      Now I know you can have very low geomagnetic activity...like the
      latest ...with some fairly strong 700 km/sec winds but something odd
      would have to happen with the IMF-earth's magnetic field for us to
      have no high latitude storming everyone once in a while.

      People may not have known what the northern lights actually wereback
      then but they were written about all the time. I have a book with
      historical sightings that goes back several centuries...with
      specific dates.. for the big ones

      Now if you believe like I have for quite some time and some recent
      papers are saying that the changes in the pole's polarities are
      related to the cyclical nature of their presence...espeically
      around maximum..when the poles reverse polarities (10/99-5/2000 C-
      hole one example) than this would make sense.

      I would imagine that the poles must get extremely weak...magnetic
      wise... or one pole completely dominates over the other and you
      almost just have one polarity.

      > I hadn't really thought about it in that way before, but I could
      > the possibility.
      > Okay, so if we have a case of different parts of the world being
      > affected in different ways by a high-speed solar wind, would the
      > hold true for CME impacts and solar radiation storms?

      Absolutely and I have seen relationships with them. I believe the
      truth about these relationships have alluded us for so long because
      what seemed like an obvious relationship...ones investigated...
      didn't hold much water ... and what most likely is a relationship...
      never entered most peoples mind.

      The meteorological and climatological community have been in charge
      of most of this research...somewhat...and they just could not
      comprehend or admit as to how some areas could be effected and not
      others. I have had this exact discussions with many individuals
      within the field over the years.

      That was their biggest obstacle with them believing in my forecasts.
      Even after they occurred. They said that it could not effect us and
      not....maybe Colorado etc...

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic