2509Re: Solar Activity Report for 8/11/05

  • space1weather
    Aug 17, 2005
      In this case I was referring to a specific area of the world that
      seems to be affected during the presence of certain space weather
      variables when certain atmopsheric oceanic teleconnections are in
      place.

      Steering currents...trough ..ridge etc...Where will the Bermuda high
      be?

      The Baranyi paper talks about the importance of different magnetic
      field vectors etc...and it's relationship with corpuscular radiaton.
      Everywhere is not effected the same. This has always been my thought
      also.

      As far as C-holes and CME's. These are two different ball games
      unless the CME is a tranisient. The Earths environment reacts
      totally different and it should. The wave action within a CME is
      completely different than a C-hole.

      Look at the neutron monitors yesterday. GCR level hardly changed
      even though solar wind speed was near 700 km/sec. This is not going
      to occur with a CME. The > 2 Mev Electron fluence levels stayed
      above 0.0e+07. This also is not usually going to occur.

      Jim

      > I think I understand what you're getting at, Jim, and we're
      actually
      > talking about two different things. What I was talking about is
      > overall solar activity associated with the solar max. If I
      understand
      > you correctly, you're talking about coronal holes in particular.
      >
      > However, I'm still confused. You'll have more days of high solar
      wind
      > speed with the solar max than with the bottom of the cycle.
      > Therefore, it would seem that the connection between higher solar
      > activity and higher terrestrial temps would still work. As far as
      the
      > Earth is concerned, a high solar wind speed is a high solar wind
      > speed, no matter if the speedy wind is coming from a coronal hole
      or
      > the most recent really impressive X-class flare. That being the
      case,
      > I don't see how a high speed solar wind from a coronal hole can
      cause
      > cooling, while an active sun causes warming.
      >
      > Unless you're saying that the overall increase in solar energy
      output
      > of an active sun is enough to offset the effect of the high-speed
      wind??
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic