2500Re: Solar Activity Report for 8/11/05

  • space1weather
    Aug 13, 2005
      > I certainly won't argue the point that the sun affects the climate,
      > but I'd be a bit sceptical of the fact that it happens on a
      > one-day-to-the next basis.
      >
      > Anyway, I'm of the opinion that an active sun means warmer temps, and
      > vice-versa. Taking your hypothesis out through a much longer time
      > period, shouldn't we see a really significant warm-up through periods
      > of prolonged solar inactivity? It's the opposite, however, that
      seems
      > to be true. Turn the sunspots down for a few thousand years, and you
      > get an ice age.

      I am not referring to all areas here .... I believe earth responds-
      already knows what's going on ...I know the rule of thumb about higher
      activity...warmer temps but this is different.

      I am referring to the relationship with steering currents. I believe
      there are many out there but it depends upon the other variables
      involved.

      One example of many ....a large trans equatorial Positive recurrent
      coronal hole (Seven times)from October 1999-April 2000. Played with
      the steering currents. Started writing about it during occurrance.

      Seven data groups...Eight days ...So this is 56 days out of the 90 day
      winter...Seperated groups ...Three day cold period...Five day warm
      period....Warm period starts when proton denisity level reached 10
      p/cc while windstream/sector is arriving. So the three cold days occur
      before the five warm days.

      So cold days were actually occurring when the c-hole was making it's
      central meridian crossing....Baliunas and Soon found a correlation
      with cooler troposphere temperatures and C-holes...I sent it to her
      and she wrote back asking if she could send it to Willie. I told her I
      already had.

      I forget what the Dec-Feb winter anomaly average at Reagan National
      was but it was considerably above average. I think the mean
      temperature difference between the 21 day and 35 day groups was almost
      11.50 degrees.

      The average high temperature anomaly for the warm period days
      (35) ..post 10 p/cc... was around 6 degrees above average. (The nights
      were warmer...clouds etc.. higher lows...raised the mean average
      higher)

      When you seperated the 56 days from the rest of the winter it ended
      up being almost normal (within about one degree I think)

      Major northeaster...in February ...which I believe was solar eruption
      related.... skewed the warm days by pulling down very cold air or it
      would have been even way higher.

      I think in two or three consectutive C-hole appearances the anomaly
      between the two different groups was around 15 degrees.

      Jim
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic