2498Re: Solar Activity Report for 8/11/05

    Aug 12, 2005
      > Well a quieter-blank sun means we get hot here in the Washington DC
      > area. Today was pretty warm. The forecast calls for mid 90's the next
      > few days. I mentioned this to Mike a while back. ENSO related. The
      > wave has turned negative...when it's positive the opposite seems to
      > occur.
      >
      > So we can forecast solar activity by looking at our weather
      > forecast...Or at least give us more confidence in forecasting a quiet
      > sun.
      >
      > Let's see what happens.

      I certainly won't argue the point that the sun affects the climate,
      but I'd be a bit sceptical of the fact that it happens on a
      one-day-to-the next basis.

      Anyway, I'm of the opinion that an active sun means warmer temps, and
      vice-versa. Taking your hypothesis out through a much longer time
      period, shouldn't we see a really significant warm-up through periods
      of prolonged solar inactivity? It's the opposite, however, that seems
      to be true. Turn the sunspots down for a few thousand years, and you
      get an ice age.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic