2490Re: Shy Elf

    Aug 11 7:28 PM
      --- In methanehydrateclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Doran"
      <narodaleahcim@a...> wrote:
      > Shy Elf wrote #18 and 19:
      >
      > "I'm sorry, but this post seems mostly incoherrent to me, and the
      > link to growing crystals in DMSO solutions hardly seems relevant, but
      > you do raise some interesting points. The solar wind, since it is
      > charged, compresses the Earth's magnetic field and also interacts
      > directly with cosmic rays, and greatly lowers the amount which reach
      > the Earth. When it is low, there will be more cosmic rays stopping in
      > the statosphere, where they form the nuclei of water droplets. This
      > results in more heat-trapping stratospheric clouds, and more
      > hurricanes. This effect has probably become much smaller in modern
      > times, since our stratosphere is now so dirty with jet exhaust."

      He's right about the solar wind-cosmic ray-cloud connection, but from
      what I've read, he may have the thermal concequences backwards. The
      increased formation of mid and low level clouds makes for a better
      mirror, and the net effect is one of cooling...not warming. The
      timing of the Maunder Minimum and the Little Ice Age is too close to
      be a coincidence, but what was the mechanism? Was it lower overall
      solar energy output, more clouds, or both?
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic