2287Solar Activity Report for 8/4/04

    Aug 4 9:42 PM
      Conditions remain quiet. Actually, they are very quiet, with an K
      index of 0! There are two sunspot regions visible. Region 655, which
      has grown a bit over the last day or so, has a small chance of
      producing a significant flare, but judging from the background X-ray
      flux plot, I wouldn't hold my breath. We could see a brief increase
      in the solar wind speed on the 7th due to the effects of a small
      coronal hole. The most interesting news right now is what we can't
      see directly. Sunspot region 649, which unleashed X-class flares the
      last time around, appears to be holding together during it's transit
      across the back side of the sun. It'll be coming back into view on or
      about the 7th, so stay tuned for that.

      IMF Orientation : 0.4 nT North

      GOES-12 Background X-ray Flux Level : A7

      Solar activity is expected to be at very low levels.

      Geomagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet levels through 06
      Aug. Beginning on 07 Aug, periods of active levels are likely with a
      slight chance for an isolated active event due to the influence of a
      high speed solar wind stream.