1646Re: [Methane Hydrate Club] Solar Activity Report for 1/31/03

  • foryeshua1@juno.com
    Feb 1, 2003
      David, I have some questions down in the text. Thanks. Walter

      On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 07:26:03 -0000 "David <b1blancer1@...>"
      <b1blancer1@...> writes:
      ** Aurora Watch In Effect **

      In a perfect illustration of the fact that you don't have to have a
      flare to create a CME, a disappearing filament generated a full-halo
      CME on the 30th.
      OK filaments as well as holes can cause CMEs. You said it was
      pointing in the right direction, does this mean towards us? Or close
      enough to the South pole to combine with my SE idea?

      A filament is a giant loop of gas which is suspended
      by a magnetic field above the visible surface of the sun. If the
      magnetic field becomes unstable, the filament can suddenly collapse
      back down. It causes a "splash," much the same as a rock falling into
      water, except in this case the material thrown up by the spash is
      about a billion tons of white-hot plasma in the form of a CME, and
      it's headed this way.
      How do you know if it is headed this way? Can you see it coming
      and its progressing path as it comes? Also do any of the loops or holes
      in the Northern Hemisphere of the Sun cause CMEs? Or are the CMEs that
      come our way mostly directed at us on the central Sun area? It is my
      thinking that CMEs don't cause SE, but it is caused by steady South
      currents put into motion by central Sun functions. Walter

      It should arrive sometime tomorrow, and
      geomagnetic storm conditions are at least a possibility. There's also
      a fairly large coronal hole that has rotated into an Earth-pointing
      position. The solar wind gusts from that should arrive on or about
      the 4th.

      Solar wind speed : 407.3 km.sec

      IMF Orientation : 5.7 nT North

      Conditions for the last 24 hours :
      Space weather for the past 24 hours has been minor. Geomagnetic storms
      reaching the G1 level occurred.

      Solar activity is expected to be low for the next three days.

      Geonagnetic activity forecast :
      The geomagnetic field is expected to be mostly unsettled tomorrow, but
      there is a chance for some active periods. Effects from the halo CME
      of 30 January are expected to arrive some time around midday tomorrow
      and should increase levels to active through the second day.
      Conditions should decline to unsettled to slightly active on the third
      day.