(meteorobs) Radar sitrep for 13 June 00:00 UTC

  • James Beauchamp
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
      Nada.  One radar meteor return in the last three hours.  Eerily quiet.

      Methinks the peak was a day early.

    • Stuart McDaniel
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
        Been outside for about 30 mins and nothing!

        *****************************
        Stuart McDaniel
        Lawndale, NC
        Secr.,
        Cleve. Co. Astronomical Society

        IMCA #9052
        Sirius Meteorites

        Node35 - Sentinel All Sky

        http://spacerocks.weebly.com

        *********************************

        Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:49 PM
        Subject: (meteorobs) Radar sitrep for 13 June 00:00 UTC

        Nada.  One radar meteor return in the last three hours.  Eerily quiet.

        Methinks the peak was a day early.

      • Bill Cooke
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
          6 pretty nice events on southeast all sky cameras already tonight.

          Regards,
          Bill Cooke
          NASA Meteoroid Environments Office

          On Dec 13, 2012, at 8:15 AM, James Beauchamp <falcon99@...> wrote:

          Radar Rates over Oklahoma have dropped to near zero within the last hour.  Hopefully this isn't the end.

        • James Beauchamp
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
            Starting about 9 PM Central the rates jumped from 60 to 100 per hour on the scatter.  Wavering back and forth every 30 minutes or so.  10:20 PM (now) is showing another peak of about 100-120 per hour.

            Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:49 PM

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
              Soo, maybe I've been staring at this waterfall plot too long.  But as we rotate around towards the radiant, the meteor scatters slowly start coming out of the noise.  They are ghostly faint at first, but visible in the plots.  Around midnight they are on full blast with full quieting, and then as the morning comes they exit as they entered.

              Probably because they slowly start catching more energy from stronger sub-lobes, then the main beam, then back to the sublobes, and then go away.

              Overdense events now (10:25 PM central) are strong.  Rates are around 60 to 120 per hour.