Re: (meteorobs) Geminids 12/13, 2012

  • Michael Boschat
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
      Hi:

      My meteor report from tonight in Halifax - now overcast!.

      Date : December 13/14,2012
      Begin: 22:00 UT
      End: 23:00 UT
      Observer: Michael Boschat
      Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
      Lat: N 44d 39'
      Long: W 63d 36m
      Elev: 57m
      Recording Method: Eye

      Start End Teff LM Gem Spo Total Cloud
      22:00 23:00 1.00 4.0 2 0 2 90%

      Magnitudes: -4 -3
      -------------------
      Gem 1 1
      Spo - -

      Average Magnitudes: GEM= -3.5

      Comments: At start of session a -4 Geminid Earthgrazer
      white in color took about 5 seconds to cover
      almost 44 degrees, it had an elongated head with a
      few small red pieces breaking away.

      Clear skies
    • James Beauchamp
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
        Nada.  One radar meteor return in the last three hours.  Eerily quiet.

        Methinks the peak was a day early.

      • Stuart McDaniel
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
          Been outside for about 30 mins and nothing!

          *****************************
          Stuart McDaniel
          Lawndale, NC
          Secr.,
          Cleve. Co. Astronomical Society

          IMCA #9052
          Sirius Meteorites

          Node35 - Sentinel All Sky

          http://spacerocks.weebly.com

          *********************************

          Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:49 PM
          Subject: (meteorobs) Radar sitrep for 13 June 00:00 UTC

          Nada.  One radar meteor return in the last three hours.  Eerily quiet.

          Methinks the peak was a day early.

        • Bill Cooke
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
            6 pretty nice events on southeast all sky cameras already tonight.

            Regards,
            Bill Cooke
            NASA Meteoroid Environments Office

            On Dec 13, 2012, at 8:15 AM, James Beauchamp <falcon99@...> wrote:

            Radar Rates over Oklahoma have dropped to near zero within the last hour.  Hopefully this isn't the end.

          • James Beauchamp
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
              Starting about 9 PM Central the rates jumped from 60 to 100 per hour on the scatter.  Wavering back and forth every 30 minutes or so.  10:20 PM (now) is showing another peak of about 100-120 per hour.

              Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:49 PM

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 13, 2012
                Soo, maybe I've been staring at this waterfall plot too long.  But as we rotate around towards the radiant, the meteor scatters slowly start coming out of the noise.  They are ghostly faint at first, but visible in the plots.  Around midnight they are on full blast with full quieting, and then as the morning comes they exit as they entered.

                Probably because they slowly start catching more energy from stronger sub-lobes, then the main beam, then back to the sublobes, and then go away.

                Overdense events now (10:25 PM central) are strong.  Rates are around 60 to 120 per hour.