Re: (meteorobs) Central Texas daylight (noontime) fireball on April 3

  • Marco Langbroek
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4 1:47 AM
      Op 4-4-2012 06:10, Ed Cannon schreef:
      > Surprised no mention of it here yet. Event 493 on
      > AMS fireball log for April 2012. Here are a couple
      > of local San Antonio TV news stories about it -- not
      > very well done, sorry (couldn't find it mentioned
      > by Austin TV stations):
      >
      > http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/April-Fireball-streaks-across-the-daytime-sky/1pvyuvxcQ0eCKk2Rp-A4qQ.cspx
      >
      > http://www.ksat.com/news/-Fireball-reported-over-San-Antonio/-/478452/10074474/-/68usk6z/-/index.html
      >
      > San Antonio newspaper story:
      >
      > http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/Fireball-leaves-area-residents-wondering-3453614.php
      >
      > Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

      Also amazing to see that the video report with the first link, makes that odd
      mistake again that I never understand: they show footage (unrelated to the real
      April 3 event) of a "fireball" that in reality shows: an aircraft contrail. It
      keeps surprising me that in this day and age, people don't recognize aircraft
      contrails for what they are.

      - Marco

      -----
      Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
      Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)

      http://www.dmsweb.org
      http://www.marcolangbroek.nl
      -----
    • Ed Cannon
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10 9:25 PM
        Pitiful...

        Now there is an article that says that the daylight
        fireball was a jet contrail:

        http://www.livescience.com/19609-mystery-fireball-texas-jet-contrail-nasa-scientist.html

        Well -- yes, a photo that was used on TV and elsewhere
        was indeed (unfortunately) a jet contrail at sunset
        (or sunrise?). HOWEVER -- the actual fireball was
        observed just a few minutes before *noon* (daylight
        time)! Good grief! How badly downhill can science
        reporting go?!

        Besides the above, people who saw the thing said that
        it was visible for one or two seconds. I don't know
        that I've ever seen a jet contrail that was visible
        for only a couple of seconds.... And I'm sure that I
        have never seen a sunset-reddened jet contrail at noon.

        Reminder -- it's event 493 in the April log on the AMS
        website.

        Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11 7:49 AM
          > Pitiful...
          >
          > Now there is an article that says that the daylight
          > fireball was a jet contrail

          Actually further down the story admits that the fireball was for real but
          the video was not - but the headline is bullsh*t for sure. Unfortunately
          many other space 'news' outlets copied the originalv flawed LiveScience
          story verbatim (that's called 'autosyndication' I've since learned)
          without any factchecking: I immediately bombarded them with tweets, and
          MSNBC, Discovery and Universe Today ran clarifications immediately once
          they got their science editors got involved. Only LiveScience (and their
          'sister' Space.com) had to ask a NASA man for permission first ... See
          http://skyweek.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/und-was-auch-noch-gesagt-werden-musste
          for links to the various bad and good stories and also links to several
          general websites on contrails-taken-for-meteors - this happens so often in
          our 'enlightened' times that it has become a little field of study for its
          own ...

          Dan

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11 10:56 AM
            > Now there is an article that says that the daylight
            > fireball was a jet contrail

            And here comes the THIRD attempt by that 'mystery' "news" service to get
            the story straight:
            http://www.livescience.com/19629-daytime-fireball-texas-real.html ...

            Dan

          • Anthony DeBartolo
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11 11:30 AM
              "How badly downhill can science
              reporting go?!"

              don't worry....it'll hit bottom soon enough...when the money gives out, then it'll stop.

              journalism, whether general or special interest, has taken a huge hit & it doesn't look like it'll be recovering anytime soon...unfortunately.

              On Apr 10, 2012, at 11:25 PM, Ed Cannon wrote:

[...]

              Anthony DeBartolo
              hydeparkmedia.com
              reporter/editor/publisher

              lupusUVA1phototherapy.com
              editor/publisher

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11 12:09 PM
                > "How badly downhill can science reporting go?!"
                >
                > don't worry....it'll hit bottom soon enough...

                Case in point is Space.com, actually: in
                http://www.space.com/15238-daytime-fireball-texas-real.html they now talk
                about "many experts" who doubted the reality of the Texas fireball when it
                fact it had only been their own article that had done so. An apology to
                their readers for a stunning double-screw-up? No way, better blame it on
                unnamed 'experts' ...

                Dan

                P.S.: Now wondering - *is* there any video or still photo coverage of that
                daylight fireball? Since night events are typically caught by at least a
                few people (and/or surveillance cameras), shouldn't that have happened at
                noon, too?