Re: (meteorobs) metorite hit a car in Poland

  • Przemyslaw Zoladek
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2006
      --- In meteorobs@yahoogroups.com, CHRISTINECissy@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 6/17/2006 5:32:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      > Patvtu51@... writes:

      astronews@...
      > writes:
      >
      > _http://www.4lomza.pl/index.php?wiad=8053_
      > (http://www.4lomza.pl/index.php?wiad=8053)
      >

      > The photos are impressive, alas, I do not read Polish.
      >
      > Perhaps I will give Babel Fish a whirl, unless there is someone
      > out there who can translate this.
      >
      > Clear skies,
      > Christine

      It was a piece of Russian old military rocket Katyusha BM8 (!), not a
      meteorite :)

      Nevertheless a great daylight fireball (-15 to -17 magnitude) was
      observed over northern Poland on 13/06/2006 at 17:10 - 17:20 UT. It
      caused strange sonic boom which was heard even 60km from trajectory.

      Here is a rough trajectory based on several visual reports.

      http://foto.pkim.org/pfn/articles/vis2.jpg
      http://foto.pkim.org/pfn/articles/vis.jpg

      (Red squares on the map - visual sightings, green - places where sonic
      boom was heard).

      Initial velocity probably exceeds 30km/s..

      Best Regards

      Przemyslaw Zoladek
      Polish Fireball Network

      ---