Police not enforing law on MBT, say to ride in pairs

  • Allison Stewart
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2013
    • nicole donnelly
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 26, 2013

        I sent an email to my MPD listserv (1D) yesterday asking about this and received the following response:

        Ms. Donnelley,

        I think someone in the community has misinterpreted Sgt. Queen.

        We actively patrol the MBT, and we have done so for at least two years. We patrol it with mountain bikes, segways, and occasionally, cars (we don’t do this often, given the size of the Trail). I hope that you have seen our mountain bike and Segway officers on the Trail.

        We are committed to having it be a safe place for all riders, runners, walkers, baby-stroller pushers, and so on. We encourage people to use the Trail, because the more people who use it, the safer it will be.

        We have been very aggressive in trying to make this a safe environment, and I think the near-absence of crime along the Trail speaks to the success of our efforts.

        We do tell people, at every meeting we go to, that if you can walk, bike, run, or push baby strollers in pairs or groups, you will probably be less likely to be the target of any criminal activity than if you do so alone, and I think this is where Sgt. Queen may have been misinterpreted. This is true across the city and it’s something that all cops tell all residents: don’t walk alone, especially at night, if you can walk with a buddy or in a group.

        Please, use the Trail, and feel good about being there.

        Andy Solberg

        Commander, 5D