Support Growing for May 5th Metropolitan Branch Trail 5K Race

  • M. Cristina von Spiegelfeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2012
      April 10, 2012
      Contact:  Sherri Morgan or Cristina von Spiegelfeld, MBT5K Race Directors, 202-455-5628; email: info@...
      Support Growing for May 5th Metropolitan Branch Trail 5K Race

      WASHINGTON, DC – New sponsors and increased numbers of advance registrants for the Second Annual Metropolitan Branch Trail (MBT) 5K Run/Walk in 2012 are positive signs that the event is gaining community support. The race is scheduled for Saturday, May 5, 2012 and will be held on the off-road, paved portion of the MBT bike trail in Northeast DC, starting at 9:00 a.m. at the intersection of S Street and 4th Street, NE, and the trail entrance.
      “Urban Atlantic, A&R Development Corp, and the Rhode Island Row community are pleased to support the Second Annual Metropolitan Branch Trail 5K Race/Walk,” said Vickie Clayton, property manager of Rhode Island Row, a new apartment community located adjacent to the trail.  “The Metropolitan Branch Trail is a great asset to the local community, and an important linkage to the new apartments and shops at Rhode Island Row.”
      “I am thoroughly excited to be one of the newest sponsors of the Metropolitan Branch Trail 5K race,” said new DC resident Tiffany Griffin. “I have been looking for ways to unite my interests in health, fitness, nutrition, and sustainability. As such, I couldn't have thought of a better way to combine those interests than by helping to sponsor a community-centric race through my vegetarian and vegan blog comowater.com.  Comowater is covering the cost of reusable race bags, designed by local artist Rajan Sedalia. Sedalia commented, “As a frequent MBT rider, I'm happy to support the trail. It provides a great view, promotes exercise, saves time and offers a platform for public art.” His uniquely-patterned bags, along with this year’s technical t-shirts will make memorable souvenirs of participants’ efforts.
      Tickets to D.C. United games, gift certificates from Potomac River Running and Hilton Garden Inn, and free microbrews from Chocolate City Beer are among the prizes available to race participants in the raffle. Tynan Tea & Coffee will be providing post-race iced teas and Yes! Organic Markets will be providing nutrition bars. Previously announced Platinum Sponsors have been supporters since the race’s inaugural year in 2011. These include residential developer EYA, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, Kaiser Permanente, and Harris Teeter.
      Organizers are also reaching out to community groups, DC public schools and recreation centers to offer 150 free registrations to local youth to further the event’s mission – to promote exercise and healthy activity for all ages and build a sense of community ownership and involvement with the Metropolitan Branch Trail in neighborhoods to which it is adjacent.
      Race co-sponsor DC Road Runners Club, a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization which organizes more than 30 races annually in the DC area, will provide online registration, official timing and logistical support. The 5K course is USATF-certified. As a charitable event, proceeds will go to subsidize youth runners and fund other MBT trail/community linkages, such as trail beautification, safety and social recreation.
      To register, and for business sponsorship information, visit: www.gometbranch.com. You can also “Like” MBT5K on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mbt5k. The first 150 students under the age of 18 who register online will be able to participate without charge.
      click here to Opt Out