MBT problems

  • Elizabeth Lyttleton
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2011
      Apparently some kids tried to taser a bike rider on the MBT yesterday evening (http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2011/06/more-trouble-on-the-metropolitan-branch-trail/).  The bike rider managed to avoid the kids, and thankfully MPD responded quickly.

      Unfortunately, the officers who responded told the bike rider that it would probably be best to avoid the MBT between NY Ave and RI Ave.  Haven't we had this discussion before?  Why are MPD officers telling people to avoid the MBT - it is completely counter-productive!  The more people that use the trail, the more eyes will be on the trail, the less likely that kids will be able to attack people without getting caught!

      I'm extremely disappointed in the response from the MPD - the message the officers conveyed was "don't use the MBT, because it is a lawless zone.  sorry, not our problem."

      I very much hope that the officers who responded will told that this is NOT an acceptable response.  Indeed, I hope that there is further education about the trail for all of the officers in the area to avoid such a situation in the future.

      --
      Elizabeth Brooks Lyttleton
      eblyttleton@...

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2011
            Given some of the safety reports on the trail, I'd rather not bike it alone after work. Is there anyone who commutes home leaving from Union Station area at ~6:30 or 7:00 that might like to ride together? I probably will only bike 1-2x/ week, but would like to coordinate w/ someone else. I ride all the way to Silver Spring, but even if someone only goes part way, that's fine. It sounds like NY to RI is the area where it'd be most important not to be alone.

           BTW — Has anyone heard of problems between Brookland and Fort Totten (I think that's John McCormak past CUA , Bates, and Fort Totten Drive)? Some of the trail (including the off-road part) seemed rather desolate, with no homes around and it's rather steep and slow going northbound. I wonder if many have taken Taylor to Hawaii Avenue to North Capitol (on the sidewalk for a few blocks) to Gallitan as an alternate route and which they prefer.

          -Karen O'Keefe
        • Jen BL

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2011
              Hi,

              I bike a few times a week and will send you a note when I do. I get on at Union Station and ride to Brookland.

              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2011
                Add me to the list. I ride most every day, but don't always go back that route and that time.  When I do take the MBT, I turn off at Brookland.
                Cheers,
                Jen

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2011

                  What was the description. I caught them!

                  On Jun 2, 2011 3:10 PM, "Jen BL" <jenraeb@...> wrote:

                  there's a school and neighborhood right there, but I think a lot of kids just hang out by that parking lot.  Plus, that's pretty much the most secluded spot of the off road portion.
                  -Jen

                  On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                  > Why is it that...

                • Richard Evans
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2011
                    Alright, I am glad the police caught three kids with a taser, the process was really frustrating. The dispatcher had no idea about the trail and kept asking me for a cross street over and over again. Essentially the trail marker wasn't good enough. For that matter, even R street and MBT didn't even satisfy him. I had to give him the nearest intersection before they would send someone out. By the time the I was able to satisfy the dispatcher, the kids were already at the next entrance. This is completely unacceptable.

                    On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                    What was the description. I caught them!

                    On Jun 2, 2011 3:10 PM, "Jen BL" <jenraeb@...> wrote:

                    there's a school and neighborhood right there, but I think a lot of kids just hang out by that parking lot.  Plus, that's pretty much the most secluded spot of the off road portion.
                    -Jen

                    On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                    > Why is it that...

                  • tim clark
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2011
                      Thanks, Rich for sticking with this and helping to assist in the arrest of these juveniles. Educating dispatchers about the trails existence and location is a must! Hopefully this was an isolated event by a few youth and not a widespread problem.

                      Regards,
                      Tim Clark
                      Commissioner,5C05

                      Alright, I am glad the police caught three kids with a taser, the process was really frustrating. The dispatcher had no idea about the trail and kept asking me for a cross street over and over again. Essentially the trail marker wasn't good enough. For that matter, even R street and MBT didn't even satisfy him. I had to give him the nearest intersection before they would send someone out. By the time the I was able to satisfy the dispatcher, the kids were already at the next entrance. This is completely unacceptable.

                      On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                      What was the description. I caught them!

                      On Jun 2, 2011 3:10 PM, "Jen BL" <jenraeb@...> wrote:

                      there's a school and neighborhood right there, but I think a lot of kids just hang out by that parking lot.  Plus, that's pretty much the most secluded spot of the off road portion.
                      -Jen

                      On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                      > Why is it that...

                    • Toren Elsen
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2011
                        I am very happy to hear that these delinquents were caught. Thank you Richard for putting out the effort to make sure that they were apprehended. Now lets hope that they receive a punishment that is more than a slap on the wrist.

                        Alright, I am glad the police caught three kids with a taser, the process was really frustrating. The dispatcher had no idea about the trail and kept asking me for a cross street over and over again. Essentially the trail marker wasn't good enough. For that matter, even R street and MBT didn't even satisfy him. I had to give him the nearest intersection before they would send someone out. By the time the I was able to satisfy the dispatcher, the kids were already at the next entrance. This is completely unacceptable.

                        On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                        What was the description. I caught them!

                        On Jun 2, 2011 3:10 PM, "Jen BL" <jenraeb@...> wrote:

                        there's a school and neighborhood right there, but I think a lot of kids just hang out by that parking lot.  Plus, that's pretty much the most secluded spot of the off road portion.
                        -Jen

                        On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                        > Why is it that...

                      • Geoffrey Hatchard

                          Alright, I am glad the police caught three kids with a taser, the process was really frustrating. The dispatcher had no idea about the trail and kept asking me for a cross street over and over again. Essentially the trail marker wasn't good enough. For that matter, even R street and MBT didn't even satisfy him. I had to give him the nearest intersection before they would send someone out. By the time the I was able to satisfy the dispatcher, the kids were already at the next entrance. This is completely unacceptable.

                          On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                          What was the description. I caught them!

                          On Jun 2, 2011 3:10 PM, "Jen BL" <jenraeb@...> wrote:

                          there's a school and neighborhood right there, but I think a lot of kids just hang out by that parking lot.  Plus, that's pretty much the most secluded spot of the off road portion.
                          -Jen

                          On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                          > Why is it that...

                        • StephenS
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 5, 2011
                            This may be something people in the group are already aware of, and all these folks have been contacted already, but when I posted this info to Potomac Pedalers list someone sent this response:

                            "It would be good to report any such incident and the police response, and complaints, or any positive feedback, about the response to Mayor Grays office, Chief Cathy Lanier, to Jim Sebastian of the DC Bicycle Advisory Council-who advises the Mayor on cycling matters (find address on line), and to WABA. Best to do it in writing."

                            Polly Choate

                            Thanks!

                            S. Szibler

                            --- In metbranchtrail@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Lyttleton <eblyttleton@...> wrote:

                            > Apparently some kids tried to taser a bike rider on the MBT yesterday
                            > evening (
                            > http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2011/06/more-trouble-on-the-metropolitan-branch-trail/).
                            > The bike rider managed to avoid the kids, and thankfully MPD responded
                            > quickly.
                            >
                            > Unfortunately, the officers who responded told the bike rider that it would
                            > probably be best to avoid the MBT between NY Ave and RI Ave. Haven't we had
                            > this discussion before? Why are MPD officers telling people to avoid the
                            > MBT - it is completely counter-productive! The more people that use the
                            > trail, the more eyes will be on the trail, the less likely that kids will be
                            > able to attack people without getting caught!
                            >
                            > I'm extremely disappointed in the response from the MPD - the message the
                            > officers conveyed was "don't use the MBT, because it is a lawless zone.
                            > sorry, not our problem."
                            >
                            > I very much hope that the officers who responded will told that this is NOT
                            > an acceptable response. Indeed, I hope that there is further education
                            > about the trail for all of the officers in the area to avoid such a
                            > situation in the future.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Elizabeth Brooks Lyttleton
                            > eblyttleton@...
                            > 202 344 5389

                          • Gus Craig
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011
                              There was a story about the bike trail problems on NBC's 11:00 PM news and aired again this morning. While I like the attention being raised,  it was suggested again, at least once, that people should find an alternative method for exercising or traveling.

                              I'd like to keep the focus and pressure on the power's that be. It is a wonderful and convenient trail and I'm grateful to all who have spent a significant amount of time and effort to make it beautiful and as safe as possible.
                              No Bike Trail! No Peace!

                              This may be something people in the group are already aware of, and all these folks have been contacted already, but when I posted this info to Potomac Pedalers list someone sent this response:

                              "It would be good to report any such incident and the police response, and complaints, or any positive feedback, about the response to Mayor Grays office, Chief Cathy Lanier, to Jim Sebastian of the DC Bicycle Advisory Council-who advises the Mayor on cycling matters (find address on line), and to WABA. Best to do it in writing."

                              Polly Choate

                              Thanks!

                              S. Szibler

                              --- In metbranchtrail@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Lyttleton <eblyttleton@...> wrote:

                              > Apparently some kids tried to taser a bike rider on the MBT yesterday
                              > evening (
                              > http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2011/06/more-trouble-on-the-metropolitan-branch-trail/).
                              > The bike rider managed to avoid the kids, and thankfully MPD responded
                              > quickly.
                              >
                              > Unfortunately, the officers who responded told the bike rider that it would
                              > probably be best to avoid the MBT between NY Ave and RI Ave. Haven't we had
                              > this discussion before? Why are MPD officers telling people to avoid the
                              > MBT - it is completely counter-productive! The more people that use the
                              > trail, the more eyes will be on the trail, the less likely that kids will be
                              > able to attack people without getting caught!
                              >
                              > I'm extremely disappointed in the response from the MPD - the message the
                              > officers conveyed was "don't use the MBT, because it is a lawless zone.
                              > sorry, not our problem."
                              >
                              > I very much hope that the officers who responded will told that this is NOT
                              > an acceptable response. Indeed, I hope that there is further education
                              > about the trail for all of the officers in the area to avoid such a
                              > situation in the future.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Elizabeth Brooks Lyttleton
                              > eblyttleton@...
                              > 202 344 5389

                            • Jason Hawke
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011
                                I have to second the call to fight for the trail. I don't understand anybody who says you shouldn't use the trail because it isn't safe. Yeah you probably shouldn't use it after dark - but walking in any urban park after dark is considered unwise.

                                I love the trail and what it stands for. It is beneficial for everybody of ever class and ethnic background. Any adult or child that is using the trail as some kind of 'hunting ground' needs to be disciplined and reformed. The more people people that use the trail the better it will get. We need to persevere.

                                -Jason

                                On Jun 6, 2011, at 8:14 AM, Gus Craig wrote:

                                There was a story about the bike trail problems on NBC's 11:00 PM news and aired again this morning. While I like the attention being raised,  it was suggested again, at least once, that people should find an alternative method for exercising or traveling.

                                I'd like to keep the focus and pressure on the power's that be. It is a wonderful and convenient trail and I'm grateful to all who have spent a significant amount of time and effort to make it beautiful and as safe as possible.
                                No Bike Trail! No Peace!

                                This may be something people in the group are already aware of, and all these folks have been contacted already, but when I posted this info to Potomac Pedalers list someone sent this response:

                                "It would be good to report any such incident and the police response, and complaints, or any positive feedback, about the response to Mayor Grays office, Chief Cathy Lanier, to Jim Sebastian of the DC Bicycle Advisory Council-who advises the Mayor on cycling matters (find address on line), and to WABA. Best to do it in writing."

                                Polly Choate

                                Thanks!

                                S. Szibler

                                --- In metbranchtrail@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Lyttleton <eblyttleton@...> wrote:

                                > Apparently some kids tried to taser a bike rider on the MBT yesterday
                                > evening (
                                > http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2011/06/more-trouble-on-the-metropolitan-branch-trail/).
                                > The bike rider managed to avoid the kids, and thankfully MPD responded
                                > quickly.
                                >
                                > Unfortunately, the officers who responded told the bike rider that it would
                                > probably be best to avoid the MBT between NY Ave and RI Ave. Haven't we had
                                > this discussion before? Why are MPD officers telling people to avoid the
                                > MBT - it is completely counter-productive! The more people that use the
                                > trail, the more eyes will be on the trail, the less likely that kids will be
                                > able to attack people without getting caught!
                                >
                                > I'm extremely disappointed in the response from the MPD - the message the
                                > officers conveyed was "don't use the MBT, because it is a lawless zone.
                                > sorry, not our problem."
                                >
                                > I very much hope that the officers who responded will told that this is NOT
                                > an acceptable response. Indeed, I hope that there is further education
                                > about the trail for all of the officers in the area to avoid such a
                                > situation in the future.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Elizabeth Brooks Lyttleton
                                > eblyttleton@...
                                > 202 344 5389

                              • Erik Kugler, CPA
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011
                                  Does the story mention that the suspects were caught?

                                  Best regards,
                                  Erik

                                  Erik Kugler, CPA
                                  erik.kugler.cpa@...
                                  Principal, Cycletopia WDC LLC dba BicycleSPACE
                                  459 I Street, NW
                                  Washington, DC 20001
                                  202 962 0123

                                  Principal, BicyclePASS LLC
                                  Principal, Cadence Retail Group, LLC
                                  Mobile:  571 245 6695

                                  Member NBDA, League of American Bicyclists

                                  On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Jason Hawke <jhawke@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                  > quickly.
                                  >
                                  > Unfortunately, the officers who responded told the bike rider that it would
                                  > probably be best to avoid the MBT between NY Ave and RI Ave. Haven't we had
                                  > this discussion before? Why are MPD officers telling people to avoid the
                                  > MBT - it is completely counter-productive! The more people that use the
                                  > trail, the more eyes will be on the trail, the less likely that kids will be
                                  > able to attack people without getting caught!
                                  >
                                  > I'm extremely disappointed in the response from the MPD - the message the
                                  > officers conveyed was "don't use the MBT, because it is a lawless zone.
                                  > sorry, not our problem."
                                  >
                                  > I very much hope that the officers who responded will told that this is NOT
                                  > an acceptable response. Indeed, I hope that there is further education
                                  > about the trail for all of the officers in the area to avoid such a

                                • Gus Craig
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011
                                    To be  honest I'm not sure. Last night they just mentioned the spots that were considered isolated and how far the trail stretched. Then they went into the mile and half of the trail where crimes have been rampant, the woman whose wrist was broken during an attempted tasing, and the like. There was mention that discussions were in the works but until then riders should find a safer venue. This morning was much of the same except they were located at the Catholic University entrance, showing how people could rent the bikes. There was a shot of two police officers riding bikes taken maybe yesterday. I also didn't catch any interviews.

                                    This may be something people in the group are already aware of, and all these folks have been contacted already, but when I posted this info to Potomac Pedalers list someone sent this response:

                                    "It would be good to report any such incident and the police response, and complaints, or any positive feedback, about the response to Mayor Grays office, Chief Cathy Lanier, to Jim Sebastian of the DC Bicycle Advisory Council-who advises the Mayor on cycling matters (find address on line), and to WABA. Best to do it in writing."

                                    Polly Choate

                                    Thanks!

                                    S. Szibler

                                    --- In metbranchtrail@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Lyttleton <eblyttleton@...> wrote:

                                    > Apparently some kids tried to taser a bike rider on the MBT yesterday
                                    > evening (
                                    > http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2011/06/more-trouble-on-the-metropolitan-branch-trail/).
                                    > The bike rider managed to avoid the kids, and thankfully MPD responded
                                    > quickly.
                                    >
                                    > Unfortunately, the officers who responded told the bike rider that it would
                                    > probably be best to avoid the MBT between NY Ave and RI Ave. Haven't we had
                                    > this discussion before? Why are MPD officers telling people to avoid the
                                    > MBT - it is completely counter-productive! The more people that use the
                                    > trail, the more eyes will be on the trail, the less likely that kids will be
                                    > able to attack people without getting caught!
                                    >
                                    > I'm extremely disappointed in the response from the MPD - the message the
                                    > officers conveyed was "don't use the MBT, because it is a lawless zone.
                                    > sorry, not our problem."
                                    >
                                    > I very much hope that the officers who responded will told that this is NOT
                                    > an acceptable response. Indeed, I hope that there is further education
                                    > about the trail for all of the officers in the area to avoid such a
                                    > situation in the future.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Elizabeth Brooks Lyttleton
                                    > eblyttleton@...
                                    > 202 344 5389

                                  • Liz Price
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011

                                      Unfortunately they did not report that the case was closed.

                                      Liz Price

                                      President

                                      NoMa Business Improvement District

                                      1200 First Street NE, Suite 310

                                      Washington, DC 20002

                                      (P) 202-289-0111 x 1

                                      www.nomabid.org

                                      Sign up for the NoMa BID Newsletter here!

> [...]

                                      > quickly.

                                      > Unfortunately, the officers who responded told the bike rider that it would
                                      > probably be best to avoid the MBT between NY Ave and RI Ave. Haven't we had
                                      > this discussion before? Why are MPD officers telling people to avoid the
                                      > MBT - it is completely counter-productive! The more people that use the
                                      > trail, the more eyes will be on the trail, the less likely that kids will be
                                      > able to attack people without getting caught!

                                      > I'm extremely disappointed in the response from the MPD - the message the
                                      > officers conveyed was "don't use the MBT, because it is a lawless zone.
                                      > sorry, not our problem."

                                      > I very much hope that the officers who responded will told that this is NOT
                                      > an acceptable response. Indeed, I hope that there is further education
                                      > about the trail for all of the officers in the area to avoid such a

                                    • David Alpert, Greater Greater Washington
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011

                                        My article on this is now up at http://greatergreaterwashington.org.

                                        I talked to DDOT and they talked to OCTO about the dispatching. The trail is now in the system but they still need to train the operators on how to enter it. It's also frustrating this took OCTO/OUC so long.

                                        David

                                      • nicole donnelly

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011
                                            That's good news to hear. I feel that the police clearly had a better grasp of the trail than the dispatcher. However, once the dispatcher and I sorted everything out, nine officers appeared in less than two minutes. Upon arrival they had all the suspects detained in no time, this even after one decided to flee on foot. Honestly, I was actually a little overwhelmed by the response.

                                            Given this, I really think that the problem is overblown. Once the dispatch issues are sorted out, I really don't foresee the police having much of a problem keeping the trail safe. They're clearly now making their presence known at the problem areas, which is honestly just one small stretch.

                                            And yes, having more people on the trail only helps.

                                          • Karen
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011
                                              The stretch of the MBT between RI and NY is pretty much an industrial wasteland.
                                              --- In metbranchtrail@yahoogroups.com, Richard Evans <richdevans@...> wrote:

                                              > Why is it that the majority of the problems with youth on the trail always
                                              > seem to occur near Rhode Island avenue?
                                              >
                                              > On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Elizabeth Lyttleton
                                              > <eblyttleton@...>wrote:
                                              >

                                              > > Apparently some kids tried to taser a bike rider on the MBT yesterday
                                              > > evening (
                                              > > http://www.princeofpetworth.com/2011/06/more-trouble-on-the-metropolitan-branch-trail/).
                                              > > The bike rider managed to avoid the kids, and thankfully MPD responded
                                              > > quickly.
                                              > >
                                              > > Unfortunately, the officers who responded told the bike rider that it would
                                              > > probably be best to avoid the MBT between NY Ave and RI Ave. Haven't we had
                                              > > this discussion before? Why are MPD officers telling people to avoid the
                                              > > MBT - it is completely counter-productive! The more people that use the
                                              > > trail, the more eyes will be on the trail, the less likely that kids will be
                                              > > able to attack people without getting caught!
                                              > >
                                              > > I'm extremely disappointed in the response from the MPD - the message the
                                              > > officers conveyed was "don't use the MBT, because it is a lawless zone.
                                              > > sorry, not our problem."
                                              > >
                                              > > I very much hope that the officers who responded will told that this is NOT
                                              > > an acceptable response. Indeed, I hope that there is further education
                                              > > about the trail for all of the officers in the area to avoid such a
                                              > > situation in the future.
                                              > >
                                              > > --
                                              > > Elizabeth Brooks Lyttleton
                                              > > eblyttleton@...
                                              > > 202 344 5389

                                            • Karen
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011
                                                I'd like to start biking this route too, although I return closer to 6:00.

                                                --- In metbranchtrail@yahoogroups.com, Gus Craig <gus_craig@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi,
                                                >
                                                > I bike a few times a week and will send you a note when I do. I get on at Union
                                                > Station and ride to Brookland.

                                              • Karen O'Keefe
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 6, 2011
                                                   I sent an off-list email to Karen, Gus, and Jen. If anyone else bikes the route after work and would like to bike with others when they're leaving at around the same time, shoot me (or everyone, or the four of us) an email. We can then email the smaller group with the times we're leaving on a given day and people can bike together if they're leaving at the same time.

                                                  Cheers,
                                                  Karen O'Keefe