Re: WashCycle: A time-line of the Metropolitan Branch Trail

  • paul125a
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2010
      Thank you for the timeline. My memory is hazy, but I may have been one of the 11 cyclists who first rode the route with Pat Hare. It has been a while. Without Pat's energy & vision it never would have happened.

      I think I am the one who came up with the name, after having read a book on the history of the B&O Railroad. The railroad (now CSX), called that line the "Metropolitan Branch," later "Metropolitan Sub[division]." It was called a "branch" line because the main line went directly west from Baltimore toward Harpers Ferry. Metropolitan Ave. is also the name of a road in Kensington, which runs along the tracks.

      After 20 years, I got to ride it last week!

      Best,

      Paul Ceruzzi