[Metaphorical Web] An Experiment Towards the Future

  • Kurt Cagle
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2009
      [http://metaphoricalweb.ning.com/profiles/blogs/an-experiment-towards-the]
      Social networks are finicky things - to develop a community of
      interest, you need to have both a compelling topic and a reasonable
      platform on which to host that community. I've been working with Drupal
      for several years now, and while I thoroughly love Drupal for its
      extensibility, in order to build a community of any complexity, you end
      up having to make so many modifications and add so many modules that
      the system can become glacially slow.

      I stumbled upon Ning recently, though I've been on Ning networks before
      without realizing it, and found that I could put together a serviceable
      site that offered almost every capability that I'd been looking for in
      about twenty minutes. It's also separately hosted, which solves a lot
      of the concerns that I've had with my own self-hosted site at
      http://www.xmltoday.org, especially given the high cost of hosting and
      my own rather precarious financial state at the moment. Given those
      concerns, and of course the option of playing with a new social media
      environment, I decided to set up a Metaphorical Web ning site.

      I want to open this up to participation by anyone interested in the
      primary topics of the site. What are those, you ask? (You did, really,
      I heard you about to say exactly that! Really!!). Well, what I'm going
      to cover here moves beyond what I cover on xmltoday.org, which focuses
      purely on XML issues, though I'll be covering that too. However, with
      Metaphorical Web, I have a somewhat broader agenda.

      Specifically, the following topics come to mind:

      - The Metaphorical Web Side This is devoted more to future topics and
      issues
      - The New Publishing - neo-journalism, social networks, CMS's, DITA,
      DocBook, Drupal, Twitter, SVG, etc.
      - The Architect - discussions about the profession of information
      architects, software design, programming, methodologies, and so forth.
      - Macro-Economics and Systems Theory - Everything from relevant
      economic discussions to software agents to the Sims
      - Climate Change and Green Tech - A look at everything from climate
      change related stories (pro and con) to solar energy to infrastructure
      issues.
      - TomorrowVille - A change to play futurist, looking at trends and
      patterns that will shape our future.
      - The XML Side This is devoted to XML related topics in particular
      - Open Standards - W3C, OASIS, IETF, ECMA, and just about anyone else.
      - XRX Technology - XQuery, XSLT, XForms, RESTful Services, XProc and
      other Xy things
      - XBRL and Open Data - includes NIEM (and NIEM IEDPs), GML, ePub and
      other governmental XML standards, as well as looking at the
      intersection of IT and government.
      - The Semantic Web - RDF and RDFa, classification, taxonomy, OWL,
      SPARQL, and the way that we organize information.
      It's a fairly daunting list, and is no doubt incomplete. My desire here
      is to pull together people that are interested in the trends of
      tomorrow, from the technologies to the social issues to how we actually
      survive on this planet. Feel free to join the group, to blog, to create
      new discussions, to post your events or your photos, to make yourself
      at home. Think of this as a debate salon, a place to discuss the world
      with others, and to put in your two cents worth.

      I will be maintaining the XMLToday.org site as well, but will continue
      the trend that I've started with it and keep it strictly focused on
      XML-related news exclusively. This site I'm hoping instead to focus on
      building community. Enjoy, kick back, and stay for a while.

      Kurt Cagle
      Managing Editor
      The Metaphorical Web
      http://metaphoricalweb.ning.com

      --
      Posted By Kurt Cagle to Metaphorical Web at 5/07/2009 09:53:00 AM