1790 pressure vessel

  • Jack Tractor Live
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013

      The Girandoni air rifle was manufactured for the Austrian army in 1790. It looks like the air reservoir was made out of formed sheet metal and brazed. How was brazing performed then? Were they using any sort of torch?

      http://www.topairgun.com/girandoni

      http://beemans.net/Austrian%20airguns.htm

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
        --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Jack Tractor Live wrote:

        > The Girandoni air rifle was manufactured for the Austrian army in 1790. It
        > looks like the air reservoir was made out of formed sheet metal and brazed.
        > How was brazing performed then? Were they using any sort of torch?
        >

        > http://www.topairgun.com/girandoni
        >

        > http://beemans.net/Austrian%20airguns.htm

        A blowpipe would be my guess
      • rkwtinman
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
          I had heard that the air flask was cast iron.

          Kent White
          > The Girandoni air rifle was manufactured for the Austrian army in 1790. It
          > looks like the air reservoir was made out of formed sheet metal and brazed.
          > How was brazing performed then? Were they using any sort of torch?
          >

          > http://www.topairgun.com/girandoni
          >

          > http://beemans.net/Austrian%20airguns.htm

          A blowpipe would be my guess

          ------------------------------------

          Introduce yourselves here:
          http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cforums.cgi?forumid=108921644329407

          We now have the MSA Forums working. The forums will store our images and will not be erased. The moderators of MSA would like for all "keeper" posts with good technical information and photos, be placed in the forums at the MSA web site:
          http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cfdirectory.cgi?categoryid=9990091247057
          The forum messages are also forwarded to this email group so you can get them all emailed to you.

          Information about copyright policy for materials posted to this group can be found here: http://metalshapers.org/copyright/index.htm

          If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your membership for “NO EMAIL” at the following link:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          metalshapers-digest@yahoogroups.com
          metalshapers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • captonzap
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
            According to the article, the flask was formed, riveted, and then submersed in a molten copper base metal, which sealed the seam, and coated the inside, as well as the outside surfaces, which prevented condensation rusting on the inside of the flask.
            Like hot dip galvanizing.

            Clever.

            CZ
          • Jim Peck