Which 3 inch random orbit sander?

  • Richard Ferguson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2013
      I have been using a 2 inch random orbit sander, which works well for much of the smaller work that I do. The limitation is that I can only get aluminum oxide hook and loop disks for it, and they don't last very long, it seems like under one minute. 2 inch is kind of an oddball size, mostly used by woodworkers, so the selection is limited.

      So my thought is to move up to a 3 inch random orbit sander. 3 inch hook and loop sanding disks are available from my local auto paint shop, and generally are easier to get, and available in more materials. I should say that I have one of the larger random orbit sanders, I believe that it uses 6 inch disks, but it is way too big for much of my work.

      The 2 inch random orbit sanders seem to come mostly in a gun style unit, although mine is more mini angle grinder style. The 3 inch random orbit sanders seem to be available in different forms, including gun and palm style. Astro makes 3 inch random orbit sanders, as does Ingersoll-Rand, Chicago Pneumatic, Dynabrade, and 3M. I am looking at air tools; I have a pretty stout compressor. I am not too worried about whether it is true dual action or purely random orbit, as I figure to just use it in random orbit mode. I would rather not spend $200, I was hoping to pay more like $100. The 3M looks like a nice palm style sander, around $150.

      Comments, suggestions?

      Richard

      Sculptures in copper and other metals
      www.fergusonsculpture.com
    • Don
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2013
        Richard
        I have a 3" Dynabrade palm DA sander I use for color sanding clear on Bikes . Much quieter than low cost versions and less vibration .Plastic /Alum body components . It's sealed so no water gets in workings
        Gun Style works well for needed force in pushing down for heavy material removal . Good Sandpaper is worth it's price .Grit uniformity of more expensive grades doesn't leave odd scratches and cuts longer . Contact tech dept of Mirka , Klingspore ,3M on application spec. ,you'll get quite a education .
        GordonB