Facebook

  • Terry Thorne
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
      It is here for those who want to participate in it http://www.facebook.com/groups/212009922153952/
      For those that don't you don't have to.  Always trying to promote the craft in a good way!
      if this twitter thing every catches on..... it has it's possibilities!  tweet! tweet!
      MSA broke ground as being the 1st  forum and pics on the internet, who knows what the future holds!
      Btw Brian Norby has posted some really cool WW2 vintage  airplane stuff!   Thanks Brian!    tt
    • Gordon Bartlett
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
        Guys
                     I'm not much for FaceBook myself , so I don't . Just not enough time in the day for things of this nature.  My Wife does and enjoys it .
        TT and I talked about it before he went ahead and Titled it "Metalshapers" .Yes , theres a drawback that we miss some pics , maybe theres a PC savoy member who will find a workaround .
         GMB

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
          Terry ,
          I am on Facebook..... I will check it out....I don't know how active I will be.....
          There is a lot of junk and an lot of things to be wary of on facebook.  But there are options on your set up so that you don't have to be bombarded by stuff you don't want to see, and you can opt out of anything on there.  Also you don't have to put any information on there that you don't want others to see. You can even use an alias..... But I understand not wanting to get involved in yet another site and starting all over again... I'm already on Metal Shapers and Metal Meet... and haunt a couple of other sites like HAMB and The Sheet Metal Shop..... I'm active on two motorcycle forums and on a couple antique and hot rod sites.....  So when a couple people have asked me about getting involved with West Coast Metal Shapers, .... I haven't just because I'm stretched thin now.....
          I hate the thought of starting over on a new site......Plus no matter what you do... people will think it's politics and there will be drama.......Who needs that????
          Bill

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012

            Well I haven't tried this before but here is a link to the group album, http://www.facebook.com/groups/212009922153952/photos/  Maybe in the monthly "reminder" uhhh I've been meaning to bring that up, maybe add the Facebook to the monthly reminder.  This is all pretty new, we just were on less than a month and FB crashed the groups, so there is actually 2 metalshaper's and metalshapers. The one we want you to belong to is the open one!  Knock on wood they won't crash!  Those that were around with Egroups then Yahoo know how often things went "south"  that is why the MSA site and E/yahoogroups are linked. It's easy to piss and moan about stuff, hard to truly improve things, but we are trying!   tt
          • Terry Thorne
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 25, 2012
              Bill,
              fill me in on the options, we had a spammer and it was pure heck trying to find the delete button!
              Really would like a button that I can deny all offers to play games!!!!   tt

              On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM, bill gibson <billsmetal1@...> wrote:

[...]

            • p_a_miles
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 26, 2012

                Terry, re "For those that don't you don't have to" - that is true as far as it literally goes.  We don't have to.  However, if a member posts pictures out there, I don't believe that we can see them unless we do "participate".

                Regards, Peter

                --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Terry Thorne <oldgoaly@...> wrote:

                > It is here for those who want to participate in it
                > http://www.facebook.com/groups/212009922153952/
                > For those that don't you don't have to. Always trying to promote the craft
                > in a good way!
                > if this twitter thing every catches on..... it has it's possibilities!
                > tweet! tweet!
                > MSA broke ground as being the 1st forum and pics on the internet, who
                > knows what the future holds!
                > Btw Brian Norby has posted some really cool WW2 vintage airplane stuff!
                > Thanks Brian! tt

              • CGRAF
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 26, 2012
                  Don't allow facebook on work or my own personal computer, when guests
                  use it.
                  I've had some bad experiences with spam and virus issues that were
                  linked with the same time frame as facebook usage.

                  Mike Graf
                • Varnell, John
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 27, 2012

                    Hay TT

                    I use an assumed name on facebook and only want about 20 friends (I had a stalker before) will still be able to post pic’s without joining the group there?

                    John D. Varnell

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 27, 2012
                      On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Varnell, John <jvarnell@...> wrote:

                      Hay TT

                      I use an assumed name on facebook and only want about 20 friends (I had a stalker before) will still be able to post pic’s without joining the group there?

                      John D. Varnell

                      John, I do believe only members can post, this keeps "spam" down a bit. I do look at each members home page before allowing them in, knock on wood only 1 spammer so far. You can join in as "john doe"  give me an email so I know it's you. Looking forward to seeing you there!