Air hose whip?

  • Richard Ferguson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
      I just blew another whip hose for one of my air tools. (I will define a whip hose as a short flexible hose permanently attached to an air tool, frequently with a swivel fitting for maximum maneuverability). This particular one was Harbor Freight, but I have blown another that I paid $15 for from MSC. Annoying to pay top dollar for something and not have it last one year.

      I am running standard shop air, typically 90-100 psi.

      Anybody have a favorite brand of whip? A shop that sells good whips?

      I have thought about buying a spool of bulk 1/4 inch hose, but these are typically 500 feet, a lot more than I would use in even several years. The advantage of bulk hose would be that I could make up whatever length I thought was best for this application. Not sure how secure the barb connectors are, however, especially in a whip application.

      Suggestions?

      Richard

      Sculptures in copper and other metals
      www.fergusonsculpture.com
    • Terry Thorne
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
        Richard,
        I was looking for some about a year ago for old portable phammers and the selection was next to nothing? horrible freight didn't show them.  To make your own get a good 25' hose not the bulk.  Next question what is failing the hose where it is clamped?  maybe your putting a strain on the hose that a spring cover(strain relief) could extend the hose life?  tt

      • Larry Ruebush
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
          I buy my air hose in bulk,not full rolls, from Lawson Products. They have a
          salesman that hits me every month. They are a long ways from the cheapest,
          but their products are good and they stand behind anything that goes wrong,
          even if it is partly my fault. The saleman has a tool for inserting the ends
          in the air hose. I have had no problems with their hose.
          Larry Ruebush
          west central IL

[...]

          ------------------------------------

          Introduce yourselves here:
          http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cforums.cgi?forumid=108921644329407

          We now have the MSA Forums working. The forums will store our images and
          will not be erased. The moderators of MSA would like for all "keeper" posts
          with good technical information and photos, be placed in the forums at the
          MSA web site:
          http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cfdirectory.cgi?categoryid=9990091247057
          The forum messages are also forwarded to this email group so you can get
          them all emailed to you.

          Information about copyright policy for materials posted to this group can be
          found here: http://metalshapers.org/copyright/index.htm

          For those who do not get individual e-mails (with the images) -- you can
          still get the images by subscribing to dailies at the following address:

          If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership
          privileges -- simply edit your membership for "NO EMAIL" at the following
          link:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Warren
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
            I got a thirty year old or more whip hose on my impact gun that I bought from Snap on.  Wasn't cheap, been used so much and so worn that you can not tell that it was hex shaped. Next time you see a snap on truck follow him to his next stop.

            Warren Townsend
            www.metalrecipes.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2011
              Here is where I get mine:
              Steve's hose list
              It is a local business with several locations in Oklahoma City  and Tulsa, sort of a Harbor Freight meets   kinda place