Aluminum Fuel Tank

  • motionaero2
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2011
      Thinking about building a couple of 12 gallon aluminum fuel tanks for a homebuilt airplane, and need ideas on thickness and material. I am leaning towrds a material thickness of .050 to .060 while my build partner is thinking it needs to be 1/8". Thoughts?

      Also, it seems most aircraft tanks are made from 5052H32. I would have thought that 3003H14 would make more sense as it is easy to bend and form, and easier to weld. Am I missing some property of 5052H32 that is important to an airplane?

      Thanks for any thoughts!

      Mark
    • glbwelding@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2011
        The tanks I have built have been primarily 5052 H 32  .050. If bends are tough can always aneal the bend line.  5052 is more corrosion resistant than 3003 very weldable.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2011
          Mark
               I hope some of our Airplane builders will chime in.
                 When working on a Aircraft parts I call my A&P Mech. I deal with for FAA guidelines . Even EAA or Warbird, the FAA construction principals  are sound starting point .
           GordonB
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2011
            I am guessing that you are referring to wing tanks? You can use the .050 for
            that size tank, but be sure to include baffles for support and strength.
            3003 is easier to form, bend and a little easier to weld, but the 5052 has
            the advantage of being much more corrosion-resistant. If you get your
            material in 1/4 hard you should have a good tank. I have rebuilt 40 gallon
            Stinson tanks (1941) made of 3003 .040, and they had two baffles.

            Kent White
            --------------------
            What's new at www.tinmantech.com
            Metal in action at www.youtube.com/user/tinmantech?blend=2&ob=1

            Thinking about building a couple of 12 gallon aluminum fuel tanks for a
            homebuilt airplane, and need ideas on thickness and material. I am leaning
            towrds a material thickness of .050 to .060 while my build partner is
            thinking it needs to be 1/8". Thoughts?

            Also, it seems most aircraft tanks are made from 5052H32. I would have
            thought that 3003H14 would make more sense as it is easy to bend and form,
            and easier to weld. Am I missing some property of 5052H32 that is important
            to an airplane?

            Thanks for any thoughts!

            Mark

            ------------------------------------

            Introduce yourselves here:
            http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cforums.cgi?forumid=108921644329407

            We now have the MSA Forums working. The forums will store our images and
            will not be erased. The moderators of MSA would like for all "keeper" posts
            with good technical information and photos, be placed in the forums at the
            MSA web site:
            http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cfdirectory.cgi?categoryid=99900912470
            57
            The forum messages are also forwarded to this email group so you can get
            them all emailed to you.

            Information about copyright policy for materials posted to this group can be
            found here: http://metalshapers.org/copyright/index.htm

            For those who do not get individual e-mails (with the images) -- you can
            still get the images by subscribing to dailies at the following address:

            If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership
            privileges -- simply edit your membership for "NO EMAIL" at the following
            link:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • motionaero2
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2011