(Metalshapers): Newbe question...

  • msaforum@metalshapers.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010

      M Jorda (base9) has posted a new message titled "Newbe question...".

      First time poster here. I need to form a bowl shape out of 16 and 18 gauge sheet metal. Dimensions are 26" diameter and 6" deep. I've looked at metal spinning but just getting the tooling made is out of my price range. Is it possible to do it on a E wheel? or using a Helve hammer? In the past I have just used a hammer to get the shape but I want to leave less hammer marks and form it faster than brute forcing it. Thanks!
      *

      base9

      Reply View Thread

    • Varnell, John
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2010

        After making the bowl I would use a ewheel or planshing hammer to smooth it.  Or if all else fails I would use a hammer and dolly.  The dolly  I have for that is made from a gas cylinder cap.

         John

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2010
          I just heard from the cashier at the local HF store that HF, starting next week, will no longer honor 20% off coupons on tool boxes, hydraulic jacks, or air compressors.  You've got until the weekend if you're in the market and have a coupon.

          Bill Longyard