Shrink disc using a s/s plumbing cover

  • Terry Thorne
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2009
      Well gang, just another little tools to help you along the way! You can find them at the big box home improvement stores, go for the 6" one the 4 is rather small. Now to get the cover to work with my Bosch angle grinder I had to enlarge the center hole, then using an old 4 1/2 surface prep disc as a backing plate it was an easy fit to the grinder.  Now with the limited use I've had so far some high spots shrink quickly, others much more stubborn, compared to a torch it is slow, but effective! What I have been working with it on is a pair of 924 porsche fenders, they are about 22ga and have been repaired at least twice using lots of bondo.... They have been tank stripped so I didn't want to us water as that would be instant rust, so I came up with a diluted solution of PPG metal prep/conditioner 970 or is 979????  This tool won't make you smarter or better looking but 4-5$ it costs you should get your money's worth in the 1st job you do with it. Sorry no pics someone else has the camera.... Take care! tt
    • troppolad
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
        Great tip Terry thanks mate

        --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Terry Thorne <oldgoaly@...> wrote:

        > Well gang, just another little tools to help you along the way! You can find
        > them at the big box home improvement stores, go for the 6" one the 4 is
        > rather small. Now to get the cover to work with my Bosch angle grinder I had
        > to enlarge the center hole, then using an old 4 1/2 surface prep disc as a
        > backing plate it was an easy fit to the grinder. Now with the limited use
        > I've had so far some high spots shrink quickly, others much more stubborn,
        > compared to a torch it is slow, but effective! What I have been working with
        > it on is a pair of 924 porsche fenders, they are about 22ga and have been
        > repaired at least twice using lots of bondo.... They have been tank stripped
        > so I didn't want to us water as that would be instant rust, so I came up
        > with a diluted solution of PPG metal prep/conditioner 970 or is 979????
        > This tool won't make you smarter or better looking but 4-5$ it costs you
        > should get your money's worth in the 1st job you do with it. Sorry no pics
        > someone else has the camera.... Take care! tt

      • robwill4
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2009
          --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Terry Thorne <oldgoaly@...> wrote:

          > Sorry no pics
          > someone else has the camera.... Take care! tt

          any member who can supply a picture of a 'plumbing cover'??
          when i say these magic words in a local hardware shop, those eyeballs keep raining down..............
        • Erich Gross
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2009

          Image attached, if it did not make through Yahoo use the link below or Google “870-6PK1 Cleanout Cover”.

          Most hardware and home improvement stores carry these, ask for:

           “stainless steel cleanout cover for commercial applications like bathrooms”

          http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(k1dhnf45m1duu145xlvxsx45)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=4264008

        • John Buchtenkirch
          Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2009

            any member who can supply a picture of a 'plumbing cover'??
            when i say these magic words in a local hardware shop, those eyeballs keep
            raining down..............

            Either a photo or a good description of what this cover is actually used for would be helpful, if your lucky that is what the sales person is going to ask you.   Not so lucky would be;  #1 “I don’t work in plumbing, you have to find Tony, he should know” or “I was just leaving for my lunch break, sorry, i’m already 10 minutes late”.   ~   John Buchtenkirch

          • CSR
            Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2009
              After 30 years of working in the trade, I'm not sure what you mean by plumbing cover. If you can give me some more info of what it is, I can get you a picture at least.

              Cliff
            • CGRAF
              Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2009
                I am thinking a shower drain cover or floor drain cover.
              • Terry Thorne
                Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2009
                  Lets see if I can insert some pics????

                  .one of the 4" next to 6" on grinder

                  one of a closer look at the surface prep disc backer

                  closer look at the locking nut

                  These are imbeded, not attached so we will see how yahoo stores them.
                  Have not used this week trying to get the 924 running, starts instantly then dies.... mechanical fuel injection!
                  bosch k-jetronics, it's a 76 build date / 77 model.

                  tt

                • Larry Ruebush
                  Message 9 of 10 , Aug 8, 2009
                    TT
                    Good luck on that injection,I had several Volvos with that style,will drive you nuts at times.Wiring connections and fuses making good contact are starting points
                    Larry Ruebush
                    west central IL

                    Message 10 of 10 , Aug 8, 2009
                      Larry, already cleaned the grounds copper-brass on steel, vacuum leaks
                      are plentiful! using a little white petrolium grease to help seal the
                      joints. We got a 924 book coming at least I will know what they call
                      it. Good to hear from you! Take care! tt