dc motor

  • secatim
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
      I disassembled an electric tread mill. Plan is to use the motor to power a
      bead roller. On a DC motor can I reverse it by changing the poalrity? I have
      all the controls and rectifier. Motor is just two wires so a simple ab type
      switch would be all i need to make it forward reverse if that will work...

      Thanks

      Tim
    • wds
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
        Yep, it will work but look for big pulleys.
        Many treadmill motors are rated in the 5 to 6,000 rpm range.
        a gear reduction might be a nice way to go.

        secatim wrote:

        I disassembled an electric tread mill. Plan is to use the motor to power a
        bead roller. On a DC motor can I reverse it by changing the poalrity? I have
        all the controls and rectifier. Motor is just two wires so a simple ab type
        switch would be all i need to make it forward reverse if that will work...

        Thanks

        Tim

      • Ian
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
          Yes, changing polarity changes direction on DC motors.

          > I disassembled an electric tread mill. Plan is to use the motor to
          power a
          > bead roller. On a DC motor can I reverse it by changing the
          poalrity? I have
          > all the controls and rectifier. Motor is just two wires so a simple
          ab type
          > switch would be all i need to make it forward reverse if that will
          work...

          > Thanks
          >
          > Tim

        • secatim
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
            That was whatI thought. Thanks... See Ya in Grand Rapids!

            Tim

            Yes, changing polarity changes direction on DC motors.

            > I disassembled an electric tread mill. Plan is to use the motor to
            power a
            > bead roller. On a DC motor can I reverse it by changing the
            poalrity? I have
            > all the controls and rectifier. Motor is just two wires so a simple
            ab type
            > switch would be all i need to make it forward reverse if that will
            work...

            > Thanks
            >
            > Tim

            ------------------------------------

            Introduce yourselves here:
            http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cforums.cgi?forumid=108921644329407

            We now have the MSA Forums working. The forums will store our images and
            will not be erased. The moderators of MSA would like for all "keeper" posts
            with good technical information and photos, be placed in the forums at the
            MSA web site:
            http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cfdirectory.cgi?categoryid=99900912470
            57
            The forum messages are also forwarded to this email group so you can get
            them all emailed to you.

            Information about copyright policy for materials posted to this group can be
            found here: http://metalshapers.org/copyright/index.htm

            For those who do not get individual e-mails (with the images) -- you can
            still get the images by subscribing to dailies at the following address:

            If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership
            privileges -- simply edit your membership for “NO EMAIL” at the following
            link:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • secatim
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
              This was variable speed and used small pulleys. Figure if it had the torque to pull me across a flar plate should have enough to roll metal!

              Tim

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
                Guys
                                    Take a look in       Surpluscenter.com.........they  have some 110  gear head motors rated at  around 25 rpm    about 1/5 hp  is  plenty.  about 10  rpm with a foot  switch  works out  just  fine   Barry L

              • wds
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Most of them are variable but, despite popular belief,
                  these motors do not produce good torque at very low speeds
                  using the very basic controllers nearly always used with them.
                  Most also have more effective reduction than is readily apparent.
                  If yours has only two wires then there is no encoder or tachometer
                  output to iprovide feedback to a more sophisticated controller.
                  Give it a whirl but I'm sticking with Barry.
                  This is an easy place to do a Tim Taylor trick so clear the area. ;-)

                Message 8 of 9 , Dec 1, 2008
                  Hi Tim:

                  I got to go with Dale and Barry on this one.  I have converted a couple of drill presses and a small lathe to treadmill power and can tell you from experience that they take a while to spool up and slow down.  The lower priced speed controller also require you to start the motor at low speed.  The SCR speed controllers will allow for preset speed starts but are pricey.  The treadmills I have salvaged all had motors ranging in speed from 5600 to 6100 RPM which required some sort of reduction unit.  Fortunately the treadmill drive ratios all seem to be in the 3/1 ratio range so you can salvage the primary pulleys and belt from the donor.

                  I think the gearmotor idea will be more workable in the end.  Save the treadmill motor for a lathe or drill press where the start and stop issues will not be a large problem.
                  Roger VanHoozer

                  Message 9 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Cool, looking forward to it.