RE: [metalshapers] jimb1 has sent you a video!

  • Kent White
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
      Footage looks very similar to a film I saw 2 years back.

      Good job.

      Kent

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
        Jim,

        Is this a demo of your new shrinking dies?

        David

        -------

        Note: Please do not reply to this message. This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that will not accept incoming e-mail.

        Copyright 2008 Veoh Networks, Inc.

      • jim bailie
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008

          Jim Bailie

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008

            Jim Bailie

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008

              Jim Bailie

              Is this a demo of your new shrinking dies?

              David

                 Hi David

               I modified a lower die to stretch .
               This has been done for years , I don't know who came up with the Idea but it works great .
              see ya

                 jim

              Hi,

              jimb1 has sent you a video from Veoh.com:

              Title: metal shaping

              Publisher: jimb1

              stretching a flange

              Click here to watch your video!

              Here's a personal message from jimb1:

              just playing with my harbor freight planishing hammer. Jim PS: I hope there is someone out there to see this :)

              Enjoy,

              The Veoh Team

              -------

              Note: Please do not reply to this message. This e-mail was sent from a notification- only address that will not accept incoming e-mail.

              Copyright 2008 Veoh Networks, Inc.

            • wds
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
                With a dang good junkpile and a low labor rate, you might be able to duplicate it.
                I managed to parlay a hand full of discount coupons, a "manager's sale" and a had to be pretty lonely and desperate old lady at checkout into one of the larger ones. Think I wound up with about $67 cash in it.  Would have been hard to buy only the foot valve and hoses for that money.   So far, I cannot find anything bad to say about it  I was amazed at how sturdy and well-designed it was. Something may break but I really don't see any reason to expect it.  Air hammer will probably wear out first.
                I was almost disappointed because it was so sturdy. I had plans to iron out the top of an old IH Scout using it as a hand-held.  My hands won't hold that much anymore so I'm saving up for a counterweight or a yo-yo so I can hang it off a cherry picker..

                jim bailie wrote:

                Jim Bailie

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
                  double fast.
                  But it was not .040 titanium.

                  rkw

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008

                    Hi Jim:

                    Great video. Could you go into how you modified the lower die to make it stretch? I tried a quick internet search of the pertinent terms and, although I came up with many interesting metal working sites which diverted my attention for at least 30 minutes, I didn’t find any details on how the die was modified.

                    Thanks,

                    Eric Q.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 1, 2008
                      I wouldn't think that you would have to modify a die to make it
                      stretch. I used to stretch flanges like that with a hammer and anvil
                      and later with an air hammer and a metal sawhorse with a 2x6 channel
                      iron top (easer to support the metal with than an anvil). The metal is
                      going to stretch any time you hit it unless you have a shrinking die.
                      It work hardens the metal though, so if your doing aluminum you will
                      have to anneal it a few times to stretch it in that tight of a radius,
                      particuarily if you have a wide flange, like 3-4 inches, or else it
                      will develope cracks. I had to have wide flanges because I was making
                      wall flashing for barrel vault roofs. If you want do something a
                      little harder try making an inside flange, then you will need a
                      shrinking die.

                      -- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Quarnstrom" <ericq47@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jim:
                      >

                      > Great video. Could you go into how you modified the lower die to make it
                      > stretch? I tried a quick internet search of the pertinent terms and,
                      > although I came up with many interesting metal working sites which
                      diverted
                      > my attention for at least 30 minutes, I didn't find any details on
                      how the
                      > die was modified.
                      >

                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Eric Q.

                    • Danny Pascoe
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                        Jim could you post a picture of the modified die also what upper head are you using. One more question what motor are you using yours is differant then the one that comes with the frame thanks. I can get mine to strech just not as well as yours thanks Dan Pascoe.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                          OH NO!, now I've got to buy some Titanium

                            later

                          Jim Bailie

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                              Hi Dan
                               your right about the motor, I forgot I cut the handle off the one that came with the p hammer to make my hand held hammer so when I started playing with it I used an air motor I had laying around . it's one size up from the one that came with the p hammer and I'l sure that's why it moves the metal so fast.
                             good eye Dan, glad to see  your paying attention.

                            Jim Bailie

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                              Hi Eric

                               I posted this on the MSA site but but it never  showed up so I'll try it again.

                              I just milled a peak on the flat die that came with the p hammer [ you can do it with a grinder]  the sharper the peak the faster the metal moves , the traidoff is the sharper the peak the more it marks the bottom of the metal.

                                hope this helps

                              Jim Bailie

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                                I was surprised with how well it works to and the foot pedal is great!
                                  see ya
                                Jim Bailie

                                With a dang good junkpile and a low labor rate, you might be able to duplicate it.
                                I managed to parlay a hand full of discount coupons, a "manager's sale" and a had to be pretty lonely and desperate old lady at checkout into one of the larger ones. Think I wound up with about $67 cash in it.  Would have been hard to buy only the foot valve and hoses for that money.   So far, I cannot find anything bad to say about it  I was amazed at how sturdy and well-designed it was. Something may break but I really don't see any reason to expect it.  Air hammer will probably wear out first.
                                I was almost disappointed because it was so sturdy. I had plans to iron out the top of an old IH Scout using it as a hand-held.  My hands won't hold that much anymore so I'm saving up for a counterweight or a yo-yo so I can hang it off a cherry picker..

                                jim bailie wrote:

                                Jim Bailie

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008
                                  Jim did you get the bigger motor in the planshing hammer form china freight also if so do you happen to have the # . 1 other thing in your pictures of the dies is the rubber still on the upper one it sorta looks that way. thanks great job Dan Pascoe

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 2, 2008

                                    I got them both.

                                    Thanks again.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 3, 2008

                                      Jim Bailie

                                      Jim did you get the bigger motor in the planshing hammer form china freight also if so do you happen to have the # .

                                      I got it a Princess auto here in Canada but it's the same as Harbor Freight. There is no # on it  but it the next size up from the one that came with the p hammer.

                                       1 other thing in your pictures of the dies is the rubber still on the upper one it sorta looks that way. thanks great job Dan Pascoe

                                      No It's just the steel hammer

                                         jim

                                      .

                                    • Danny Pascoe
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 3, 2008
                                        Jim thanks for the info Dan Pascoe

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 17, 2008
                                          Jim did you get the bigger motor in the planshing hammer
                                          form china freight also if so do you happen to have the # .
                                          > I got it a Princess auto here in Canada but it's the same as Harbor
                                          Freight.. There is no # on it  but it the next size up from the one
                                          that came with the p hammer.

                                          HI Jim - fellow Cannuck here - where does one find an "air motor" at
                                          PrincessAuto? Is it an air chisel? Rivet gun? Do you have a part #?

                                          thanks

                                          Scott
                                        • jim bailie
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 18, 2008
                                            Hi Scott

                                            I got the bigger air hammer at Princess Auto , I don't remember how much I paid for it
                                            but I'm sure it was under $50.00.  The make is SELECT #3416047.
                                               Hope this helps and I'm
                                              sorry it took so long to get back to you.
                                            Jim Bailie

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 18, 2008
                                              --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, jim bailie <bailiecustoms@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > Hi Scott
                                              >
                                              > I got the bigger air hammer at Princess Auto , I don't remember how
                                              much I paid for it
                                              > but I'm sure it was under $50.00.  The make is SELECT #3416047.
                                              >    Hope this helps and I'm
                                              >   sorry it took so long to get back to you.

                                              Thanks Jim,