Weathervane

  • jttooler2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
      Is there a standard size of vertical shaft that passes through the body
      of the animal or whatever you are making?
      Jim Eash
    • Harley Cruiser, Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
        I don't think so, I would use a shaft that would fit sealed bearings
        top and bottom so the wind would move it easily.

        --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, "jttooler2000" <jtlkeash@...>
        wrote:

        > Is there a standard size of vertical shaft that passes through the
        body
        > of the animal or whatever you are making?
        > Jim Eash

      • Ian
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
          My guess is they would use bushings.

          I've seen at least one book on making weather vanes.
          Maybe there is a site or two.

          > I don't think so, I would use a shaft that would fit sealed bearings
          > top and bottom so the wind would move it easily.
          >
          > --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, "jttooler2000" <jtlkeash@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there a standard size of vertical shaft that passes through the
          > body
          > > of the animal or whatever you are making?
          > > Jim Eash

        • Kerry Pinkerton
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
            We had a weathervane building MetalMeet at Dutch Comstocks several years
            ago. Our plan was to use bronze bushings...no standard shaft size because
            weathervanes come in all different sizes and weights.

            Kerry Pinkerton

            wrote:

            > Is there a standard size of vertical shaft that passes through the
            body
            > of the animal or whatever you are making?
            > Jim Eash

            Introduce yourselves here:
            http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cforums.cgi?forumid=108921644329407

            We now have the MSA Forums working. The forums will store our images and
            will not be erased. The moderators of MSA would like for all "keeper" posts
            with good technical information and photos, be placed in the forums at the
            MSA web site:
            http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cfdirectory.cgi?categoryid=9990091247057
            The forum messages are also forwarded to this email group so you can get
            them all emailed to you.

            Information about copyright policy for materials posted to this group can be
            found here: http://metalshapers.org/copyright/index.htm

            For those who do not get individual e-mails (with the images) -- you can
            still get the images by subscribing to dailies at the following address:

            If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership
            privileges -- simply edit your membership for "NO EMAIL" at the following
            link:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • GRAF
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
              I don't remember if I responded in this thread or not, so if you've
              heard this from me before just ignore.

              One trick that works for a very long time with no maintenance is a
              pinpoint suspension of the vane using a rounded rod supporting a marble
              in the end of the tube run through the weather vane.

            • Ian
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
                Any that I've seen,squeak as they turn in the breeze,
                which suggests they are not using ball bearings.

              • GRAF
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
                  From what I've seen those that aren't turning at all any more are the
                  ones with bearings.
                  Unless they are properly shielded and quite probably also oiled they can
                  seize up.
                  This is one place where KISS is a good philosophy.

                  Mike Graf

                • bl55303@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2008
                    The one i have on my barn is 31 years old  this  year    3/4   ss  shaft  with   teflon shaft  bearing  and  telfon  thrust  bearing    ..    still  going  around   with  the  horse  on  top.. Barry L