Re: One OF

  • John Buchtenkirch
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007

         Hi Frank

         I think if they were my design I could make  and sell a few of them , but there a copy of an E&J light so I don't think I could get $600 for a knock off.

         I don't mind making myself a set or two but I couldn't sell someone else's design and sleep at night.

          see ya   ~   jim

         Jim,  Being that the original manufacturer is probably long out of business I can't see where it should be a concern.   If you machined a male die on a lathe for the headlight ring you could easily make that part on a hand pumped hydraulic press if that would help make it more profitable.   When I first worked with the old man making aircraft parts I was initially amazed by how crude the dies were that we got away with on short run work.   The right aluminum still amazes me by how much you can draw it.   Look at these 2 cook pots with a 6 1/2" deep draw and 2 very tight corners !   Actually it wouldn't even be too hard to make dies to make the light's main body in 2 halves that would be welded together.   Pour-able die material in one of the light bodies you have already made would probably do fine for the male die.   It's not traditional metal shaping but you can make good $$$ doing the right parts.   ~   John Buchtenkirch
    • Ian
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
        E&J is long gone,not sure what legal rights
        these guys have to the name and design:< http://www.e-n-j.com/ >
        but I know they are not making any right now.

      • bl55303@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
          John  & Jim
                    Just looking at  what  you had    going on.     I  Was  wondering if  you  were metal spining  headlights ?     We  have  a  place  around hear  ( Prinston MN )  Glean Metal  craft   that  dose  a  lot  of  large  parts       fan  shrouds for  turkey  barns  are   about  4  ft  across.   We  had  them  make  us some   front cow el spinings   for  a   sterman  biplane  ----    Around 4  ft  across  .   really  exiting  to  see  a  6 ft  round   of  alnum   start  to  flop  around  as  it  takes  shape.    Took  a  couple  parts  before  I  would  stand  close  enough  to  see  what  the  guy  was  trying  to  do  with  all  the  bumps  that  were  takeing shape..   I  had  done  small  parts  at  home  like  tank  ends  and  tail  light  housings  over  crud  tooling   ...   sure  fun  trying   new  stuff.
             Barry L

        • jim bailie
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007

            Hi John

               Your right, I did make a die for the headlight ring after I made the first set . Now I can make them in a few minutes, the problem I have is now that I've done it once I don't want to do it any more.

[...]

            Have fun while connecting on Messenger! Click here to learn more.
          • jim bailie
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
              Hi Barry

              I don't know much about spinning but I think you could spin the headlight ring no problem, but I don't think you could get the headlight body off the form after you spin it unless you cut it off.

              maybe yes maybe no

              jim
              ________________________________
              To: metalshapers@yahoogroups.com
              From: bl55303@...
              Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 20:45:08 -0400
              Subject: Re: [metalshapers] Re: One OF

              John & Jim
              Just looking at what you had going on. I Was wondering if you were metal spinning headlights ? We have a place around hear ( Prinston MN ) Glean Metal craft that dose a lot of large parts fan shrouds for turkey barns are about 4 ft across. We had them make us some front cow el spinings for a sterman biplane ---- Around 4 ft across . really exiting to see a 6 ft round of alnum start to flop around as it takes shape. Took a couple parts before I would stand close enough to see what the guy was trying to do with all the bumps that were takeing shape.. I had done small parts at home like tank ends and tail light housings over crud tooling ... sure fun trying new stuff.
              Barry L

              ________________________________

              Send a smile, make someone laugh, have some fun! Start now!
              http://www.freemessengeremoticons.ca/?icid=EMENCA122
            • doug walter
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2007
                Jim, I saw a form Jim Hume used to spin a small tail light. It was built like a chineese puzzel that collapsed into it'self once the part was made.
                The form was a work of art that would have take a lot more effort to make than the final part.

                Doug Walter

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • bl55303@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2007
                  Jim
                         If you make your  form   with a  large  sq  tapered  plug  with  dove tales to key it to the center....... when you remove the center it will  inable you to pull the plug  out of the turned part.  Thiis center plug in my mind   would  be round    for about 6 in   then  taper   to a sq.   this  would alow  you  to   grab it itn a 3  jaw   for  spining.
                        On  our  way  to  Az  soon  to  see your  buddy  Rick.     Barry L

                • jim bailie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007
                    Hi Doug

                    Sounds  interesting I wish you had a pix.
                     I would like to know about  spinning just not enough time to do it all.

                       see ya

                       jim

                    To: metalshapers@yahoogroups.com
                    From: doug_walter2002@...
                    Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:54:43 -0800

                    jim bailie <bailiecustoms@ hotmail.com> wrote:

                    Hi Barry

                    I don't know much about spinning but I think you could spin the headlight ring no problem, but I don't think you could get the headlight body off the form after you spin it unless you cut it off.

                    maybe yes maybe no

                    jim
                    http://mail. yahoo.com

                    Express yourself with free Messenger emoticons. Get them today!
                  • jim bailie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 17, 2007

                         Hi Barry

                         Thanks Barry !