Re: Chopped Five Window

  • John Buchtenkirch
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2007

      One of my customers just retired from Flow, he was in the r&d department for 19 years. So I called him and asked about cutting automotive tempered glass with there machines.  He said it can not be done to the best of his knowledge. The have tried several times & all it duze is shatter the glass. He said if the glass is curved but not tempered it can be done with marginal sucess. The odds of breaking a front laminated is less then cutting buy hand but still they break.  But once the glass is tempered it is next to impossible to cut. Just thought I would pass that along Danny Pascoe.

      I think the problem is people get curved tempered glass mixed up with curved laminated glass.   As far as I know all windshields are laminated glass (and even some back windows in the fifties) which can be cut by a few different methods with varying success.   Curved side windows and most curved back windows are tempered and can't be cut in the tempered state.   You can identify the laminated glass by looking closely at the edge where you can see the split line between the 2 layers identifying it as laminated glass.   The windows in the pickup might just be laminated considering the age of the truck, I don't know.      ~   John Buchtenkirch