Re: [metalshapers] Re: Slide Rule? What's a Slide Rule?

  • RKMUL80@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
      When I went to MTU way too many years ago, I was required to take a non-credit course on the advanced use of the slide rule. Only a few students had or could afford a calculator so they were not permitted to use them as it was considered an unfair advantage. Computers still required punch cards. The slide rule was an amazing tool but it was so cold in upper Michigan that the temperature played hell with the accuracy of the tool. You needed to get in to the classroom early enough before a test for your slide rule to warm up or you would be getting incorrect answers. I have since forgotten how to use it. I considered getting it down from the attic the other day after reading some of these posts. I took a nap instead.  Just as the TIG welder has replaced the oxy-acet torch for most of my welding projects, the PC has replaced the punch cards, slide rule and most calculators. I still know how to weld very well with a torch but the TIG has proven great advantages. I learned all of the usual engineering formulas in college. I don't use them everyday so I can't quote them but I know where to look them up and how to apply them. There is nothing wrong with embracing technology as long as we preserve the knowledge and accomplishments of our past. After all, isn't that the premise of the metalshaping groups?
                                                                      Rick

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, RKMUL80@... wrote:

        > ......... The slide rule was an amazing tool but it was so cold in
        upper Michigan that the temperature played hell with the accuracy of
        the tool. You needed to get in to the classroom early enough before
        a test for your slide rule to warm up or you would be getting
        incorrect answers............

        We were required to have a slide rule in engineering school. 20
        bucks for the ultimate, a Post Versalog, bamboo wood laminated with
        white plastic overlay, complete with leather case and belt loop
        (belt loop was for the real nerds).

        It never gets real cold in Seattle, but I do remember guys
        complaining about their aluminum Pickett slide rules needing to warm
        up so they'd slide easily.

        Doug