Re: [metalshapers] Re: Clear for metal - Val-oil

  • rnaida1043@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 7:14 AM
      tt,

      Check the ingredients. I used to use a product called "Valspar wet look" which  I believe was a mixture of linseed oil and turpentine.  Then I just started mixing my own with quarts of linseed oil and gallons of turpentine.

      Although I used it for stone work and exposed aggregrate concrete it could be applied to metal.  The turpentine thinned out the linseed oil and allowed penetration into the pores of the masonry giving it that just hosed down look. Bringing out the colors and keeping it that way for about 6 months. Then a re application would be needed to renew the look. The linseed oil dries but does not provide a long lasting finish.

      I am sure the above can be adapted to metals finishes with some limitations.
      Ron Naida

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 7:35 AM
        Another pretty common formula is linseed oil and paste wax. Doesn't
        last all that long, depends upon environment. Do a Google search-there
        are a lot of sites on finishes and coatings especially on the sculpture
        sites.

        I have had some success with an exterior polyurethane, Valspar by
        Minnwax.

        This is another example of commission, metal artwork, problems. It may
        be wise to establish the finish before you start. What the
        client "wants" and what is possible are not always the same.

        regards,
        markus