Re: Jim Bailie? you going super-sonic???

  • danzel40
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
      --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@...>
      wrote:

      > Ian wrote:
      >
      > > Jim: can you build up the inside of a 7" Aluminum bore,around 6"
      deep ?

      > > Need to reduce the id,maybe .060" and fill some pits.
      >
      > This process seems like it has a place in surface repair.
      > But do you really want to fill holes, etc., with pot metal?
      > I get the idea from their website that the only metal they
      > use for impact adhesion is aluminum/zinc powder. I don't
      > think I'd want to depend on that in a combustion chamber or
      > in certain other applications.
      >
      > So I'm wondering if the process can use other metals such as
      > powdered stainless or cast iron? Something to ask the reps
      > maybe. I guess the process sounds good but I'm not sure at
      > this point if it will replace hot metal spraying for
      > crankshaft journal buildup or hard chrome plating.
      >
      > JerryK

      Hi all-- I've been watching this thread for a coupla days and
      wondering if anyone else has any experience with this product :

      http://products.esabna.com/index.html/session_id/432cf7496a5c9aafe1b6
      772d8a9a4fc3/screen/filler_metals_product_detail/category_id/id4367f2
      a97640a3.82973516/category_ids/1131

      This link should show the basic kit I picked up about a month ago
      from ebay . I haven't tried it out yet . The reason I got it was to
      try fixing some cracks in a few flathead motors . danzee
    • danzel40
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
        --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, "danzel40" <danzel40@...> wrote:

        > --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Ian wrote:
        > >
        > > > Jim: can you build up the inside of a 7" Aluminum bore,around
        6"
        > deep ?
        > > >
        > > > Need to reduce the id,maybe .060" and fill some pits.
        > >
        > > This process seems like it has a place in surface repair.
        > > But do you really want to fill holes, etc., with pot metal?
        > > I get the idea from their website that the only metal they
        > > use for impact adhesion is aluminum/zinc powder. I don't
        > > think I'd want to depend on that in a combustion chamber or
        > > in certain other applications.
        > >
        > > So I'm wondering if the process can use other metals such as
        > > powdered stainless or cast iron? Something to ask the reps
        > > maybe. I guess the process sounds good but I'm not sure at
        > > this point if it will replace hot metal spraying for
        > > crankshaft journal buildup or hard chrome plating.
        > >
        > > JerryK
        > >
        > Hi all-- I've been watching this thread for a coupla days and
        > wondering if anyone else has any experience with this product :

        http://products.esabna.com/index.html/session_id/432cf7496a5c9aafe1b6

        772d8a9a4fc3/screen/filler_metals_product_detail/category_id/id4367f2
        > a97640a3.82973516/category_ids/1131
        >
        > This link should show the basic kit I picked up about a month ago
        > from ebay . I haven't tried it out yet . The reason I got it was
        > try fixing some cracks in a few flathead motors . danzee

        >Well that didn't work--maybe this one will

        http://products.esabna.com/index.html/session_id/432cf7496a5c9aafe1b6
        772d8a9a4fc3/screen/filler_metals_product_detail/category_id/id4367f2
        a977e471.65916863/category_ids/1103
      • danzel40
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
            --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, "danzel40" <danzel40@...> wrote:

            > --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, "danzel40" <danzel40@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In metalshapers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@>
            > > wrote:

            > 6"
            > > deep ?

            > > > This process seems like it has a place in surface repair.
            > > > But do you really want to fill holes, etc., with pot metal?
            > > > I get the idea from their website that the only metal they
            > > > use for impact adhesion is aluminum/zinc powder. I don't
            > > > think I'd want to depend on that in a combustion chamber or
            > > > in certain other applications.
            > > >
            > > > So I'm wondering if the process can use other metals such as
            > > > powdered stainless or cast iron? Something to ask the reps
            > > > maybe. I guess the process sounds good but I'm not sure at
            > > > this point if it will replace hot metal spraying for
            > > > crankshaft journal buildup or hard chrome plating.
            > > >
            > > > JerryK
            > > >
            > > Hi all-- I've been watching this thread for a coupla days and
            > > wondering if anyone else has any experience with this product :

            http://products.esabna.com/index.html/session_id/432cf7496a5c9aafe1b6

            772d8a9a4fc3/screen/filler_metals_product_detail/category_id/id4367f2
            > > a97640a3.82973516/category_ids/1131
            > >
            > > This link should show the basic kit I picked up about a month
            ago
            > > from ebay . I haven't tried it out yet . The reason I got it was
            > > try fixing some cracks in a few flathead motors . danzee
            >

            > >Well that didn't work--maybe this one will .One more than I give
            up!

            http://products.esabna.com/index.html/session_id/b0b27d0dafe9757e7087
            38f99b6f765a/screen/filler_metals_product_detail/category_id/id4367f2
            a977e471.65916863/category_ids/1103

          • Ian
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
              Yahoo doesn't like long links,try this one instead:
              < http://tinyurl.com/qkuqe >

              > Well that didn't work--maybe this one will .One more than I give
              > up!

              http://products.esabna.com/index.html/session_id/b0b27d0dafe9757e7087

              38f99b6f765a/screen/filler_metals_product_detail/category_id/id4367f2
              > a977e471.65916863/category_ids/1103

            • jim bailie
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006

                Ian

                  I don't think so because you can't shoot thr stuff on an angle . I'll maybe they have a 90 deg. tip.

                jim

                From: "Ian" <unklian@...>
                To: metalshapers@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [metalshapers] Re: Jim Bailie? you going super-sonic???
                Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 04:11:59 -0000

                Jim: can you build up the inside of a 7" Aluminum bore,around 6" deep ?

                Need to reduce the id,maybe .060" and fill some pits.

                Introduce yourselves here:
                http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cforums.cgi?forumid=108921644329407

                We now have the MSA Forums working. The forums will store our images and will not be erased. The moderators of MSA would like for all "keeper" posts with good technical information and photos, be placed in the forums at the MSA web site:
                http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cfdirectory.cgi?categoryid=9990091247057
                The forum messages are also forwarded to this email group so you can get them all emailed to you.

                Information about copyright policy for materials posted to this group can be found here: http://metalshapers.org/copyright/index.htm

                If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your membership for �NO EMAIL� at the following link:

                Learning centerCraftHobby and craft supply
                Craft hobbyHobbies and craftsHobby store

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • jim bailie
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006

                  Jerry

                     I'm using pure alum. powder because it grinds and files easy , I also have some alum zinc powder that's a little harder , they also have copper and stainless steel powder and maybe others I don't know about.

                        I may be wrong but I don't think this machine is meant to replace spray welding this is more for things where heat is a problem or where you want to build the surface of whatever  part say .060  . I know there being used to repair alum wheels as an example.

                       jim

                  From: Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@...>
                  To: metalshapers@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:35:29 -0800

                  Ian wrote:

                  > Jim: can you build up the inside of a 7" Aluminum bore,around 6" deep ?
                  >
                  > Need to reduce the id,maybe .060" and fill some pits.

                  This process seems like it has a place in surface repair.
                  But do you really want to fill holes, etc., with pot metal?
                    I get the idea from their website that the only metal they
                  use for impact adhesion is aluminum/zinc powder.  I don't
                  think I'd want to depend on that in a combustion chamber or
                  in certain other applications.

                  So I'm wondering if the process can use other metals such as
                  powdered stainless or cast iron?  Something to ask the reps
                  maybe.  I guess the process sounds good but I'm not sure at
                  this point if it will replace hot metal spraying for
                  crankshaft journal buildup or hard chrome plating.

                  JerryK

                  Introduce yourselves here:
                  http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cforums.cgi?forumid=108921644329407

                  We now have the MSA Forums working. The forums will store our images and will not be erased. The moderators of MSA would like for all "keeper" posts with good technical information and photos, be placed in the forums at the MSA web site:
                  http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/cfdirectory.cgi?categoryid=9990091247057
                  The forum messages are also forwarded to this email group so you can get them all emailed to you.

                  Information about copyright policy for materials posted to this group can be found here: http://metalshapers.org/copyright/index.htm

                  If you do not wish to receive e-mails but do wish to maintain membership privileges -- simply edit your membership for �NO EMAIL� at the following link:

                  Learning centerCraftHobby and craft supply
                  Craft hobbyHobbies and craftsHobby store

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • Calvin Banman
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1, 2006
                      38f99b6f765a/screen/filler_metals_product_detail/category_id/id4367f2
                      a977e471.65916863/category_ids/1103

                      Thanks Cal--That's the page I was trying to copy & paste to show the
                      kit I have . If ya go further in the site and look at the powders,
                      they're supposed to work with about everything except aluminum . And
                      I'm wondering if the SST aluminum powder would work with my kit .I
                      have a couple of castings I'd like to repair . Has anyone else here
                      tried out this Allstate Kit ? If not, when I get around to seeing if
                      it works ,I'll post the results . danzee

                    • John Washbush
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 4, 2006

                        ATTENTION !!!

                        Tomorrow, Wednesday, April 5th, at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00am , the time and date will be:

                        01:02:03 04/05/06 .

                        Thank you.

                        You now may return to your regularly scheduled activities.